6-Regulation: Monsanto asks for GE-wheat approval in Canada

TITLE:  Monsanto Canada asks Ottawa for permit to sell genetically modified
        wheat
SOURCE: Canadian Press, by Bob Weber
        http://www.canada.com/news/story.asp?id=4EDE8632-F887-4165-8B9D-
        5BF13646B064
DATE:   Jan 7, 2003

Monsanto Canada asks Ottawa for permit to sell genetically modified wheat

(CP) - Monsanto Canada has asked the federal government for permission to
release genetically modified wheat into the farm marketplace. If approved,
the request would allow farmers to seed the pesticide-tolerant crop in
their fields and feed it to their animals, potentially extending the
controversy over bioengineered foods to Canada's largest agricultural
export.

But a Monsanto spokeswoman said it will probably be years before the wheat,
engineered to tolerate high doses of the company's pesticide Round Up, sees
commercial use.

"While regulatory approval will certainly provide an important level of
confidence across the wheat industry, it doesn't mean we're going to be
ready to introduce the product," Trish Jordan said Tuesday.

The issue of genetically modified foods is an emotional one for farmers and
consumers alike.

The move to genetically modified canola in Canada has cost the country its
European market, where consumers are wary of its safety and environmental
impacts. Some fear Canada's wheat customers would have the same reaction.

Monsanto has promised not to market the genetically modified wheat until a
separate grain handling system has been devised to keep it separate from
normal wheat, including a way of paying for it.

Researchers estimate it could cost farmers an extra $4 a tonne to keep the
high-tech wheat separate from conventional wheat to satisfy customers like
those in the European Union who refuse to buy genetically modified crops.

Monsanto has also said it will also not sell the product until the market
accepts it, said Jordan.

"Why introduce a product nobody wants?" she said.

Farmers will have to be trained on how to use the seed without it spreading
to adjoining fields. And the agriculture industry will have to come up with
standards for acceptable levels of genetically modified wheat in shipments
of the regular grain.

"None of these are small tasks," she said.

Holly Penfound of the environmental group Greenpeace wonders why anyone
should bother.

"There's no good reason to release this crop," she said from Toronto.
"Nobody wants it except Monsanto."

Penfound says Monsanto's assurances about being able to keep its wheat
separate from regular wheat are unconvincing.

Besides, it shouldn't be up to a multinational company to make a decision
on such an important issue, she said.

Greenpeace has called on Agriculture Minister Lyle Vanclief to nip
Monsanto's application in the bud.

Stephen Yarrow of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency confirmed his
department received the application on Dec. 23.

Scientists there will now go over Monsanto's risk assessment, he said.
They'll look at how easily the crop spreads, whether it has the potential
to outcompete native species, if it's susceptible to or likely to spread
plant diseases or if it will have an adverse effect on any animal species.

"What we're interested in mostly from an environmental safety standpoint,"
he said.

It will take at least a year for the agency to review Monsanto's work, he
said.