3-Food: UK Supermarkets maintain strict GM free policy for 2003

TITLE:  UK Supermarkets maintain strict GM free policy for 2003
SOURCE: News from gmfoodnews.com, UK
        http://www.connectotel.com/gmfood/gm060103.html
DATE:   Jan 06, 2003

UK Supermarkets maintain strict GM free policy for 2003

gmfoodnews.com has completed its annual survey of UK supermarkets for their
position on genetically modified (GM) food and ingredients for 2003.

The results show that opposition to GM foods is as strong as it was in
1999, when supermarkets removed GM foods and ingredients from their
shelves. Just as in 1999, no UK supermarket includes GM food or ingredients
in their own-brand products. Increasingly, supermarkets are also specifying
GM-free feed for animals producing their meat, milk and eggs.

Supermarkets maintain this position because of the continued rejection by
consumers of GM foods. Consumers believe that GM foods are unsafe, untested
and may cause environmental damage.

When asked specifically about GM cottonseed oil, which has recently been
approved by the UK ACNFP [1, 2], supermarkets stated that they will not be
allowing this ingredient in their products.

For more information about the issues with GM crops and GM food, see http://
www.gmfoodnews.com/gmwrong.html

The views of each of the supermarkets can be seen in the summary below:

Co-op
"No Co-op Brand products will be made using any genetically modified
ingredient."
http://www.co-op.co.uk/ext_1/Development.nsf/
14d9787189cefeb080256547003d055e/
08cf9069352cee5e0025683500432df0?OpenDocument&Highlight=2,gm

Iceland
"As pioneers in the food retail industry Iceland were the world's first to
ban GM ingredients in our own label range in May 1998."
http://www.iceland.co.uk/ext_11/web/market.nsf/(websearch)/wugm?OpenDocument

Marks and Spencer
"All Marks and Spencer food products are made without Genetically Modified
ingredients or derivatives, and an increasing range of the animals we use
in food production are fed on non-GM diets."
http://www2.marksandspencer.com/thecompany/ourcommitmenttosociety/
environment/info/food/gm/intro.shtml

Safeway
"We listen carefully to our customers' comments and concerns and we have
removed GM soya and maize ingredients from our own brand products. This was
achieved in 1999."
http://www.safeway.co.uk/cgi-bin/search.cgi?adsrid=1010343452&location=
000011000002&showitem=000001

Sainsbury's
ingredients from all our own brand food, pet food and dietary supplements."
http://www.sainsbury.co.uk/gm/

Tesco
"Tesco has removed GM ingredients from all own brand products and had
increased non-GM options by launching an extensive Organic range."
http://www.tesco.com/everyLittleHelps/dobEnvironmentDetail.htm#tagm

Waitrose
"No Waitrose own label product produced since the end of March 1999
contains GM ingredients as defined by law..."
"...With effect from the end of September 1999, all the soya and maize used
in the production of the oils and additives for Waitrose products came from
"traditional" crops."
http://www.waitrose.com/about/policy_statements/genetic_modification/
safety_gm.asp

Notes for Editors
1. Advisory Committee on Novel Foods and Processes (ACNFP) http://
www.foodstandards.gov.uk/science/ouradvisors/novelfood/
2. GM cottonseed oil was approved by the EU, via the UK ACNFP, in December
2002, without testing of safety for humans, animals and the environment.
3. A web version of this article, with hyperlinks, can be found here: http:/
/www.gmfoodnews.com/gm060103.html

Contact
Marcus Williamson