2-Plants: Australia imports GE maize for feeding its cattle

TITLE:  US MAIZE SHIPMENTS TIPPED TO RAISE ANTI-GM HACKLES
SOURCE: Australian Biotechnology News, by Graeme O'Neill
        edited and sent by Agnet, Canada
DATE:   Dec 18, 2002

US MAIZE SHIPMENTS TIPPED TO RAISE ANTI-GM HACKLES

As a desperate measure to keep alive elite dairy and beef cattle herds
suffering in one of the worst droughts of the past century, Australia's
livestock industries are, according to this story, moving to ship in maize
from the US. The story says that some 30 per cent of the maize is likely to
be from genetically modified (GM) varieties engineered for pest resistance
or herbicide tolerance, because the US maize industry does not segregate
conventional from GM grain.

Dr Rick Roush, director of the Cooperative Research Centre for Weed
Management and a leading commentator on GM crops, was cited as predicting
that US maize imports would inevitably result in "a huge scare campaign" by
anti-GM activist groups like Greenpeace and the Australian GeneEthics
Network, aimed at undermining consumer confidence in milk and dairy
products.

Roush was further cited as saying that the Office of the Gene Technology
Regulator (OGTR) was currently considering applications to import US maize
to feed starving livestock. The story says that the Australian imports are
intended only for animal consumption, and the Australian Quarantine
Inspection Service would require the shipments to be steam-sterilised and
crushed at the port of entry, to obviate any risk of hybridisation with
conventional maize crops in Australia.

Roush said consumers had no reason to be concerned about frequent claims by
anti-GM activists that GM crops - or meat and dairy products from animals
fed GM on grain - could have long-term, adverse effects on human health,
stating, "Even European Union scientists agree there are no health risks
associated with any GM crops modified so far. The irony of this debate is
that Bt corn is actually safer for humans and animals to eat than
conventional corn."

Bt maize varieties are protected against insects that damage growing
kernels, so they are virtually free of fungi that contaminate damaged grain
with toxic metabolites, called fumonisins. Roush said high rates of throat
cancer in Africa have been linked to high levels of fumonisins in local
maize varieties. US Bt maize varieties have up to a 40-fold reductonin
fumonisin levels, and are effectively fumonisin-free.

US exports of mixed shipments of conventional and GM maize are carefully
tested to ensure fumonisin levels are well within safety standards for
human and animal consumption. John McQueen, CEO of the Australian Dairy
Farmers Federation, was cited as saying that despite radio reports in South
Australia that the dairy industry would not accept GM maize as stockfeed,
and that the ADFF regards GM grain as safe, and has no policy that would
prevent dairy farmers feeding it to their herds.

The same policy is endorsed by the dairy industry's peak body in Australia,
the Australian Dairy Industry Council, which represents both dairy farmers
and dairy foods producers. McQueen was further cited as saying that two
producers of dairy foods - National Foods and Murray-Goulburn - had
contractual requirements that their suppliers not use GM grain to feed
their herds, adding, "We acknowledge their concerns, which related mainly
to consumer perceptions, but we don't support them."

McQueen said that although both companies advertised their dairy products
as GM-free, like most Australian dairy foods manufacturers, they used
genetically engineered chymosin as a coagulating agent for cheese
manufacturer. McQueen said that despite companies' claims that consumers
were demanding GM-free dairy products, there was little evidence that the
pressure came from consumers - it was more a marketing strategy, adding,
"We have a crazy situation where Japanese companies won't accept dairy
products from Australia that have been derived from cattle fed on
genetically modified soybeans, yet the Japanese feed GM soybeans to their
own cows. If Australian companies are silly enough to give such guarantees,
they're only hurting themselves."

TITLE:  Warning on GM canola
SOURCE: The Herald Sun, Australia, by Brendan O'Malley
        http://heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/
        0,5478,5743447%255E462,00.html
DATE:   Dec 26, 2002

Warning on GM canola

AUSTRALIANS will be unwittingly exposed to genetically modified canola if a
report by the grains industry is accepted, opponents of the technology say.
They also warn prices will rise because of measures needed to stop GM
canola from mixing with normal crops. The development came as 48,000 tonnes
of GM corn was set to arrive in the country to boost feed stocks for the
drought-affected poultry and cattle industries. The corn would be imported
from the US next month. Biological Farmers of Australia spokesman Scott
Kinnear attacked the Gene Technology Grains Committee report on GM canola,
released two days before Christmas. "They're only setting aside a 5m gap
between GM and non-GM crops," he said. "That's ridiculous. The Australian
pollen flow study found contamination from these sort of crops peaked 1.5km
away." Greenpeace campaigner John Hepburn said farm gate costs would rise
10 per cent because of new measures to keep GM crops out of the general
food supply, which would either have to be absorbed by farmers or passed on
to consumers.