2-Plants: Bt-gene outcrossing results in insect toxic hybrids

TITLE:  Mutant plants as toxic as GM parent - study
SOURCE: Reuters
DATE:   Nov 29, 2002

Mutant plants as toxic as GM parent - study

LONDON - Genetically modified plants can pass on the same level of toxicity
to insects even when they are cross-bred with "natural" plants, scientists
in the United States have shown. A study by researchers at the University
of North Carolina will concern environmentalists who say planted GM crops
have cross-pollinated with normal plants to create "superweeds" that are
resistant to insect attack and could spread rapidly. "It shows that GM
crops can irreversibly pass on their genes to wild plants and contaminate
our natural heritage," Greenpeace spokesman, Ben Alyffe told Reuters. "Once
we release GM crops there's no going back. The genie is out of the bottle."
The lab experiment cross-pollinated oilseed rape (canola) containing an
anti-pest gene with its natural relative, birdseed rape. Five of the 11
resulting hybrids "expressed the insecticide produced by the gene at levels
similar to the GM parent and were highly toxic to insects," the New
Scientist said. Alyffe said oilseed rape was a particular problem because
it pollinated so widely. Earlier this year Canada's expert panel on
biotechnology was reported as saying that GM superweeds had invaded
Canadian farms.