2-Plants: North Dakota Farm Bureau changed policy on GE wheat

TITLE:  Farm Bureau Changes Biotech Wheat Policy
SOURCE: Associated Press/Austin American-Statesman, USA, by Blake Nicholson
        http://www.austin360.com/aas/business/ap/ap_story.html/
        Financial/AP.V2777.AP-Farm-Scene.html
DATE:   Nov 26, 2002

Farm Bureau Changes Biotech Wheat Policy

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP)--The North Dakota Farm Bureau has changed its policy on
biotech wheat, favoring a "cautious approach" to commercialization rather
than a moratorium. Delegates to the farm group's recent annual meeting
voted 56-49 to make the change, said spokesman Brian Kramer. State Farm
Bureau President Eric Aasmundstad said Monday that the change of the year-
old policy "brings us more in line with the core philosophy of our
organization." "We're very supportive of free enterprise. Let the market
dictate what is going to happen," Aasmundstad said.

Many farmers and officials worry that biotech wheat could harm producers
because some U.S. export customers have said they do not want it. State
lawmakers in 2001 rejected a two-year ban on genetically engineered wheat
seed and instead called for a study of the issues surrounding
biotechnology. The Legislature next year will consider a bill that sets up
a state board to monitor the development of genetically engineered wheat.
The 12-member board would be made up largely of farmers, grain industry
officials and state officials.

The North Dakota Farmers Union still supports a state-imposed moratorium on
biotech wheat, said spokesman Bob Kjelland. That group's annual convention
is slated for mid-December. "It will be a topic of discussion among
members," Kjelland said. "There's certainly a high level of concern."

One company that sells biotech seed, Monsanto Co. of St. Louis, has been
developing a genetically engineered variety of hard red spring wheat that
is resistant to the company's Roundup weed killer. The seed has not yet
been introduced. Farm Bureau delegates also adopted a policy over the
weekend that says companies releasing biotech wheat for commercial
production should be held liable for any harm caused to farmers. Some
producers worry that genetically engineered wheat could contaminate fields
of traditional or organic wheat through cross-pollination.

TITLE:  Illinois farmers-Bio-corn growth could threaten EU sales
SOURCE: Reuters
DATE:   Nov 26, 2002

Illinois farmers-Bio-corn growth could threaten EU sales

WASHINGTON - U.S. plantings of new biotech corn varieties not approved by
the European Union should be avoided because it would threaten American
shipments, including $400 million worth of corn gluten, an Illinois farm
group declared yesterday. The Illinois Farm Bureau's board of directors,
meeting in Bloomington, Ill., expressed "deep concern" that a likely
increase in plantings next year of genetically modified corn not approved
by the EU could threaten that market. The EU currently has a moratorium on
approvals of all new biotech products, a position denounced by the United
States. The American Farm Bureau Federation, a national organization of
U.S. farmers, said Illinois is the only state farm bureau so far taking a
position against planting biotech corn not approved by the EU. The AFBF,
which generally supports biotech in agriculture, is pushing for the Bush
administration to file a World Trade Organization complaint against the
EU's moratorium on new biotech products.