6-Regulation: U.N. treaty on human cloning stalled

TITLE:  U.N. Treaty on Human Cloning Stalled
SOURCE: Associated Press, by Edith M. Lederer
        http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=518&ncid=518&e=
        16&u=/ap/20021120/ap_on_re_eu/un_human_cloning_1
DATE:   Nov 19, 2002

U.N. Treaty on Human Cloning Stalled

UNITED NATIONS (AP) - American and Vatican differences with France and
Germany have delayed work on drafting a U.N. treaty against human cloning
for at least a year.

The General Assembly adopted a resolution Tuesday that rubber-stamped a
decision by its legal committee to have a working group tackle the issue
again next October.

The dispute focuses on how broad a ban on cloning should be.

The United States, the Vatican and several other nations want a treaty
which bans all forms of cloning human cells. France and Germany want one
that would ban only cloning to produce babies, leaving the question of
cloning for research and medical experiments for future consideration.

A year ago, the General Assembly adopted a resolution setting up a group to
draft a convention on human cloning. The treaty should "prevent practices
which are contrary to human dignity," it said. But the working group has
reached a deadlock.

The French and Germans said they proposed a two-step approach because there
is strong international support for a worldwide ban on cloning babies, but
less support for a ban on "therapeutic" cloning for research and medical
purposes.

But U.S. representative Ralph Martinez told the General Assembly on Tuesday
that "the United States and many other member states support a total ban on
human cloning."

"We believe that the growing support for a total ban signals that a course
correction is underway and that the trend toward a total ban will forge a
clear path toward a convention to prohibit all coming of human embryos," he
said.

A statement by France and Germany on Nov. 7 said it was "regrettable" that
the group couldn't reach a compromise on drafting a treaty against cloning
human beings while negotiations continued on other forms of cloning.

"France and Germany are ready to further engage in broad-based substantial
negotiations, and we hope others are too, with a clear sense of urgency and
with a non-dogmatic view on what is feasible in the short term, and what is
not," said the statement, delivered by German diplomat Christian Much.

A German diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Tuesday this
wasn't "Germany vs. the United States," but "a different approach to reach
the same goal, which is to ban human cloning."

The General Assembly's decision "should not be misinterpreted by those
scientists or others going for cloning of babies ... as a green light to go
ahead," the diplomat warned.

Scientists who support cloning for medical purposes say they hope to use
stem cells from human embryos to find cures for Alzheimer's, Parkinson's
and other debilitating diseases. Stem cells, which are found in human
embryos, umbilical cords and placentas, have not yet differentiated into
any of the 220 cell types that make up the human body and so can divide and
turn into any kind of cell in the body.

The Roman Catholic church and anti-abortion groups say stem cell research
is tantamount to murder because it starts with the destruction of a human
embryo.

This year, President Bush restricted federal funding for human embryonic
stem cell research to a select number of existing cells already harvested.

TITLE:  The European parliament voted today by a large majority in favour
        of a total ban on human cloning
SOURCE: The Society for the Protection of the Unborn Child, UK
        http://www.spuc.org.uk/news/20021121.htm
DATE:   Nov 21, 2002

The European parliament voted today by a large majority in favour of a
total ban on human cloning. An amendment to a report on life sciences and
biotechnology which calls on the European commission and EU member states
to push for a comprehensive cloning ban was adopted by 271 votes to 154.
The amended paragraph 20 now reads: "[The European Parliament] solemnly
reaffirms that the life and dignity of all human beings, whatever their
stage of development and state of health, must be respected and is opposed
to any form of research or use of life sciences and biotechnology that runs
counter to this fundamental principle; repeats its insistence that there
should be a universal and specific ban at the level of the United Nations
on the cloning of human beings at all stages of formation and development
and urges the Commission and the Member States to work towards this end."
Pro-lifers were delighted at the vote, which represents a clear rejection
of the Franco-German proposal at the United Nations for an international
convention intended only to ban cloning for reproductive purposes. It also
represents another rebuff of the UK's decision to encourage so-called
therapeutic cloning, which has the active support of prime minister Tony
Blair. The UK remains the only western country whose parliament has voted
to allow the creation and destruction of cloned embryos in research - a
decision which runs counter to the emerging international consensus.