8-Humans: Dr. Antinori claims cloned baby due in January 2003

TITLE:  Doctor Claims Cloned Baby Due in Jan.
SOURCE: Associated Press, by Peter W. Mayer
        http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20021126/
        ap_on_he_me/italy_cloning_doctor_1
DATE:   Nov 26, 2002

Doctor Claims Cloned Baby Due in Jan.

ROME -- An Italian fertility doctor who has claimed that several women are
carrying cloned babies said Tuesday that one of the children would be born
in early January. But as with earlier statements, he again offered no
evidence.

Dr. Severino Antinori told a news conference that a woman was about eight-
months pregnant with a cloned baby boy and that the child was developing in
an "absolutely healthy" way.

In April, Antinori claimed that he knew of three pregnancies -- then in the
ninth, seventh and sixth weeks of development -- involving cloned babies.
He said Tuesday that the oldest of these was about to be born.

However, according to his statement in April, the longest pregnancy would
have passed nine months in mid-November. Antinori would not explain the
discrepancy Tuesday.

He also refused to specify if he had any role in the alleged clonings. He
did say that he wouldn't be involved in the delivery of the baby, but that
he had given a "cultural and scientific contribution" to a consortium of
scientists involved in the pregnancies. He refused to identify the
scientists.

Antinori refused to identify the woman who was to give birth in January or
give her nationality. When asked where she was going to give birth he said
only "countries where this is permitted."

Antinori, who runs a private fertility clinic in Rome, gained attention in
the 1990s when he used donor eggs and hormones to help post-menopausal
women to have children.

Experts have repeatedly dismissed Antiniori's claims and say they doubt
that he is capable of achieving a cloned pregnancy.