2-Plants: The race to create the first blue GE rose

TITLE:  The race to create the first blue rose
        Biotech also being used to restore sweet smell of roses
SOURCE: Associated Press, http://www.msnbc.com/news/838646.asp
DATE:   Nov 25, 2002

The race to create the first blue rose
Biotech also being used to restore sweet smell of roses

ASSOCIATED PRESS SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 25 —Roses are red, and a variety of
other colors. But they've never been blue — an omission legions of rose
breeders have sought for centuries to remedy. "It would be a beautiful
thing to see," said James Armstrong, an award-winning flower show exhibitor
and consultant with the San Francisco Rose Society.

BREAKTHROUGHS IN BIOTECHNOLOGY may finally resolve the quest for the
elusive blue rose, which alas does not exist because roses lack the
corresponding pigment genes. Technology also promises to restore sweet
smells to the rose and other flowers. Generations of commercial breeding
has led to beautiful but bland-smelling roses. Their colors are stunning
and vase lives long, but they've little fragrance. Genetic engineers are
also busy bringing science to bear on diseases and pests that affect the
world's 120 different rose species, which have blossomed into a $10 billion-
a-year business worldwide. Still, it's the blue rose that remains the
biggest prize. At Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, scientists
studying how drugs metabolize in the liver stumbled across a human protein
that may hold the key to creating the world's first-known blue rose.
Elizabeth Gillam, working in the lab of biochemist F. Peter Guengerich,
amazed her boss one day with a flask full of bacteria that she turned blue
with an enzyme taken from a patient's liver. They're now trying to insert
into roses the human gene that produces that blue enzyme. "I would have
called you crazy five years ago if you told me I would be pursuing a blue
rose," said Guengerich, who spends most of his time researching disease-
fighting drugs. "It's not something we set out to do." Guengerich marvels
that so many gardening enthusiasts lust after the blue rose, the pursuit of
which has reached near-mythical proportions.

"For some reason this is the holy grail for this type of work," Guengerich
said. "We could try to create blue cotton, blue anything really." So far,
though, they've only managed to get a few blue spots into the stems. "It's
not as easy you may think," Guengerich said. "It's going to take more
work." Guengerich and Gillam are nonetheless talking to biotechnology
companies about helping them develop a blue rose. They're not alone —
Florigene, an Australian company, was launched in 1986 to develop a blue
rose. Its scientists have tried to splice a "blue" petunia gene into roses,
with little success so far.

SMELL AS SWEET

Sweeter-smelling roses are perhaps closer to market. Researchers around the
world are working to identify scent genes in roses and other flowers. A key
step has been mapping their genomes. A group of Israeli researchers
published a paper in the journal Plant Cell in September that compared the
genome of the strong-scented Fragrant Cloud rose to that of the nearly
odorless yellow rose. Then, they isolated genes that occurred only in the
fragrant rose and may be responsible for scent. The trick now is to splice
the scent genes into non-fragrant varieties, a not-so-easy task.
"Unfortunately, we don't have the technology to transform the rose," David
Weiss of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, co-author of the Plant Cell
paper, said in an e-mail interview. "We are working on it." At Clemson
University, researcher Sriyani Rajapakse has developed DNA "fingerprints"
so growers can protect their special rose breeds from being stolen. She
also has produced a rough draft of the entire rose genome. Rajapakse said
rose genomes will allow growers to more easily and quickly weed out
undesirable plants. Now, growers typically have to wait until all of their
roses bloom to decide which plants to keep and which to discard.
"Biotechnology holds great promise for roses," Rajapakse said. Other
biotechnology projects that may soon be underway include the creation of
thornless roses. Robert Skirvin, a professor at the University of Illinois
at Urbana-Champaign, hopes his work with thornless blackberry bushes can be
used to de-thorn the stems of roses — some of which are found in nature. In
fact, many researchers are working on similar problems in hopes of adding
more panache to the ornamental flower industry. Of the top ten selling
flowers, only the freesia has a naturally occurring blue variety. While
there's growing criticism of biotechnology's use on crops to produce food
and pharmaceuticals, protest against tinkering with flowers' genes has been
muted. That's probably because flowers aren't generally being consumed. A
few complaints have come from purists, but serious hobbyists like Armstrong
of the San Francisco Rose Society view biotechnology a great way to grow
better, hardier flowers. "They still have to be extremely careful that
there isn't inadvertent hybridization," said Armstrong, who exhibits roses
in shows. "But I'm not a purist. It would be nice to see a blue rose and
the only way that's going to happen is through genetic engineering."