3-Food: EU and German NGO helped Zambia to receive non-GE food aid

TITLE:  EU urged to help Zambia diversify its economy
SOURCE: Xinhuanet, China
        http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2002-11/25/content_640400.htm
DATE:   Nov 25, 2002

EU urged to help Zambia diversify its economy

LUSAKA, Nov. 25 (Xinhuanet) -- The European Union (EU) has Monday been
called upon to help Zambia in diversifying her developmental sectors to
improve the food security and create jobs. Zambian President Levy Mwanawasa
said the EU should help Zambia's efforts in diversifying the agriculture,
tourism and other sectors to improve the serious food security currently
facing the country. Mwanawasa was speaking at the State House when he
received credentials from Henry Bert Sprietsma, EU ambassador in Zambia. "I
call upon the EU to support efforts of Zambia in diversification especially
in agriculture, tourism and all other sectors to improve the food security
and create jobs. I solicit the continued support of the EU to Zambia's
economy," he said. Mining is presently the backbone of the Zambian economy.
The country derives 80 percent of its foreign earnings from it and
itscontribution to the gross domestic product (GDP) is at 13 percent and
formal employment stands at 15 percent. Mwanawasa said the EU represented
one of Zambia's largest economic partners and therefore paid tribute to the
trading body for its support towards mitigating the hunger situation. He
said the EU recently gave Zambia financial support to buy 33,000 tons of
non-genetically modified food, an indication of the EU's willingness to
assist Zambia. "I desire to see greater cooperation between Zambia and the
European Union," Mwanawasa said. For his part, Sprietsma said the EU was
committed to maintaining the relationship existing between Zambia and the
EU. He said Zambia was a model for many developing countries in
strengthening of cooperation with the EU. Before coming to Zambia,
Sprietsma was EU ambassador in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

TITLE:  GERMANY DONATES NON-GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOODS
SOURCE: ZNBC Radio 2, Zambia/ BBC Monitoring - Africa
DATE:   Nov 26, 2002

GERMANY DONATES NON-GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOODS

The government has thanked Germany for responding positively to the
supplying of non-genetically modified foods, GMOs, in the country. Central
Province Deputy Minister Akimson Banda says the government is proud to have
friends who respect its decisions. Mr Banda said this when a German NGO
Adventist Development and Relief Agency, ADRA, donated relief maize worth
more than 120 million Kwacha to Makulu Compound in Kabwe yesterday. He said
the government had made a bold decision to reject the GMOs, following
various concerns on the unpredictable effect the foods have on the
environment and on humans. Mr Banda said Germany's response to the plight
of the government was a clear indication of the warm bilateral relations
that exist between the two countries. The deputy minister advised ADRA to
work with the local institutions in supplying the food to the people in the
country.