6-Regulation: Canada afraid to upset U.S. with GM labels

TITLE:  Canada afraid to upset U.S. with GM labels
SOURCE: The Western Producer, Canada, by Barry Wilson
        http://www.producer.com/articles/20021121/news/20021121news14.html
DATE:   Nov 21, 2002

Canada afraid to upset U.S. with GM labels

American hostility to the idea, and Canada's fear of falling out of step
with the United States, are why Canada should not adopt mandatory labelling
of genetically modified food, says the federal government.

An Agriculture Canada statement on the labelling issue, tabled in
Parliament in early November without public announcement, insisted that it
is best left to the industry to decide whether to label for GM content.

The department conceded that markets, including the European Union and
Japan, are moving toward demanding mandatory product labels, but Canada's
biggest customer is not.

"The adoption of mandatory labelling system by Canada could have a
significant impact on its trade relationship with its largest agricultural
trading partner, the United States, which does not support mandatory
labelling of biotechnology-derived foods," said the departmental response.

"Not only is the U.S. Canada's largest agri-food export market but Canadian
agri-food industries and markets are highly integrated with those of the
U.S.

"A disjointed approach with the U.S. on voluntary versus mandatory
labelling could place both trade and investment at risk."

For Council of Canadians biotech campaigner Nadège Adam, it was the most
blunt government admission yet that the North American Free Trade Agreement
has ended Canada's ability to develop independent domestic policy.

"It is an admission that because of free trade, we're not able to do a
simple domestic policy decision like decide whether and how to label
products," she said. "Yet all through the free trade debate, the government
insisted we would always be able to make our own domestic policy. It's
disgusting."

Some trade officials have warned that a mandatory labelling regime in
Canada likely would be challenged by the U.S. as a new trade barrier that
contravenes NAFTA rules.

In its report, the government said it continues to support voluntary
labelling and will help fund research that continues to assess long-term
health and environmental consequences of GM production.

But Adam argued that it will be impossible to do long-term studies on the
health impacts of sustained GM food consumption because without labels, it
is impossible to tell who is eating GM products and how much.

"How can you do post-market surveys if you can't identify the product in
the market? It doesn't make sense."

Agriculture Canada said decisions about whether to label for customer
demand, whether to segregate products and develop identity-preserved
systems are marketing decisions and not health and nutrition decisions,
since there is no evidence that GM products are different from conventional
products.

"A voluntary labelling system will allow commodity organizations and
companies to do their own analyses, make their own business decisions and
develop their own strategies based on their buyers', and ultimately
consumers', requirements."

The department also said a mandatory system would add costs throughout the
Canadian food system that would put business at a disadvantage when
competing with products from countries that do not require labels.

"On the other hand, as food exporters Canadian agriculture and agri-food
companies must be sensitive to a range of constantly changing customer
preferences," it said. "There are buyers in international markets who in
response not only to their respective regulatory environments but to their
customers' demands, want products to be differentiated based on whether the
ingredients are or are not derived from biotechnology."