9-Misc: Comesa to Have Regional GMO Policy

TITLE:  Comesa to Have Regional GMO Policy
SOURCE: The Times of Zambia
        http://allafrica.com/stories/200211210073.html
DATE:   Nov 21, 2002

Comesa to Have Regional GMO Policy

AGRICULTURAL ministers from Comesa have agreed to come up with a regional
policy on Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) as the issue had now become
a matter of general concern.

According to a statement released in Lusaka yesterday from the Comesa
secretariat, the ministers also agreed on the need to formulate an
agricultural policy and strategy, on the impact of HIV/AIDS on small
holders agricultural production, market access, and rural infrastructure.

This should also include the establishment of networks of agricultural
commodity exchange to increase transparency by providing market information
and to support funding mechanism initiatives geared towards poor farmers.

This funding mechanism could be through rural financial services initiated
and supported by individual governments, as well as the introduction of
insurance schemes to support lending to farmers in terms of averting the
risks foreseen by lending institutions.

The ministers meeting held in Kampala, Uganda on November 4, noted that the
issue of GMOs had become of general concern to the member states, hence the
need for a regional policy.

Export of food from surplus countries like Uganda to shortage areas within
the region if supported by food donors would to some extent reduce the need
to import GMOs.

Uganda, as an example, was expected to export up to 60,000 tonnes of maize
by the end of the year to countries like Zambia, Malawi and Zimbabwe.

Officially opening the meeting, Ugandan Prime Minister Apollo Nsibambi
emphasised the need to balance exploitation of agriculture and investment
to make it sustainable.

Professor Nsibambi said: "we need to ask ourselves why agricultural sector
has performed dismally in the post colonial era. The answer to this lies in
investment. For far too long we have behaved like miners where once a mine
ceases, it closes and miners move in search of new deposits."

But in agriculture, this was not productive as it was not sustainable and
likewise, policies in the sector had been extractive, focusing more on what
could be got out of the sector than on what must be invested into it to
ensure sustainable growth.

At the same function, Comesa secretary general Erastus Mwencha pointed out
the worrying food security in the region for this year and next year which
he described as precarious.

Total food imports required to avert starvation in the region are eight
million tonnes to cost $672.622,000.