6-Regulation: Biotech companies agree to stricter rules on Biotech corn

TITLE:  Biotech companies agree to stricter rules on Biotech corn
SOURCE: Reuters
DATE:   Nov 20, 2002

Biotech companies agree to stricter rules on Biotech corn

WASHINGTON - U.S. biotech companies, along with the Environmental
Protection Agency, said they agreed to prohibit U.S. producers from growing
certain gene-spliced corn if they fail to comply with government
regulations two years in a row.

Under the agreement, farmers growing Bt corn must plant within a half-mile
at least 20 percent of traditional varieties. Some biotech producers in the
South must plant at least 50 percent non-Bt corn.

A spokeswoman for the Biotechnology Industry Organization said the
requirements were to prevent insect resistance, an issue some
environmentalists have used to campaign against the technology.

Bt corn has spliced into its genes a natural soil bacterium, bacillus
thuringiensis, that kills corn borers. About 22 percent of U.S. corn seeded
this year was of the Bt variety, up from 18 percent last year.

National Corn Growers Association President Fred Yoder said the agreement
was "the best way to protect against resistance and keep Bt products
available."

Growers who were found in violation will be issued a warning and must make
the necessary changes to comply during the next growing season, the biotech
group said.

Bt corn growers were also required to sign a stewardship agreement before
obtaining their seed for the year. Industry groups will pay for an annual
survey, conducted by a third party, to monitor compliance.

TITLE:  GM crop mishaps unite friends and foes
SOURCE: New Scientist, UK, by Philip Cohen
DATE:   Nov 18, 2002

GM crop mishaps unite friends and foes

Friends and foes of the use of genetic engineering in US agriculture have
united in criticising two accidents in which a food crop was contaminated
by a crop from the previous year designed to yield pharmaceutical products.

The US Department of Agriculture and the Food and Drug Administration
announced last week that they had found such genetically modified corn
growing in two soybean plots in the states of Iowa and Nebraska.

The GM corn had germinated from seeds left from 2001 plantings by the Texas-
based company ProdiGene. The company was required to screen and remove
these plants as part of its government permit.

A number of interested parties have now stepped up their calls for more
safeguards to prevent drug-laced crops from ending up on the dinner table.

"This is a failure at an elementary level," says Jane Rissler of the Union
of Concerned Scientists in Washington, DC. "They couldn't distinguish corn
from soybeans and remove them from a field. That's like failing nursery
school."

Down on the pharm

In July, New Scientist reported warnings from Rissler and other GM
watchdogs that the US government rules for growing "pharmed" crops were far
too lax (Print edition, 6 July, p 4).

The genes in the ProdiGene corn are a company secret, and the company had
not supplied a comment before publication. But ProdiGene's website says its
plants produce a variety of vaccines and human therapeutic proteins and
industrial enzymes.

To prevent any spread of the altered corn or its genes, the US government
has ordered that 155 acres of surrounding corn be burned and that a half
million bushels of soybean harvested with the GM corn be quarantined. The
US Food and Drug Administration may order its destruction. The cost of the
action is estimated to total nearly $3 million. ProdiGene also faces heavy
fines and possible criminal penalties for the blunder.

Ripple effect

Even longtime advocates of plant biotechnology are worried. Politically
influential food industry associations, such as the Grocery Manufacturers
of America, were already quietly pushing for pharming to be restricted to
using non-food crops.

Following the ProdiGene incident, they are speaking up. "Incidents like
these can have ripple effects," says GMA spokesperson Stephanie Childs. "We
don't want to lose international markets because we can't assure the safety
and integrity of the food supply."

USDA spokesperson Ed Curlett says his agency will learn from the incident
and decide whether current rules need to be tightened. "But the system
seems to have worked," he says. "We caught this crop before it entered the
animal or human food chain."

CropGen, a pro-GM group based in the UK, agrees that the incident showed
the effectiveness of monitoring, but called the failure of ProdiGene to
ensure that no GM corn persisted in the field "inexcusable".

However, Norman Ellstrand, a plant geneticist at the University of
California, Riverside, says the US government was also lucky. "What if the
GM corn had come up inside a corn field, instead of a soybean field?" he
asks. "It could have cross pollinated and you'd have no idea where it was."