2-Plants: Some news on pharma crop difficulties in the U.S.

TITLE:  Farm groups still support genetic crop development
SOURCE: UPI Farming Today, USA, by Gregory Tejeda
        http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20021115-030933-9654r
DATE:   Nov 18, 2002

Farm groups still support genetic crop development

Various farm-related groups are continuing to support the development of
pharmaceutical and industrial crops, even though there have been two recent
incidents where genetic elements of those crops became mixed with food
intended for human consumption.

The Agriculture Department last week revealed the existence of a food crop
in Iowa and a soybean crop in Nebraska both tainted by crops that were
genetically altered to develop substances for use in drugs or industrial
chemicals.

Federal officials would not say what chemical or drug was grown in either
genetically modified crop, but activists with the Washington-based Center
for Food Safety say their research indicates they could be AIDS vaccines,
blood-clotting agents, digestive enzymes or industrial adhesives.

"With this latest contamination, the government should halt all
experimental genetically engineered crops grown on farms," said Matt Rand
of the National Environmental Trust.

"If the government continues to develop policies for the biotech industry
instead of for the safety of the U.S. food supply, it is just a matter of
time before one of these experimental crops ends up on our dinner plates,"
he said.

But the American Farm Bureau Federation, National Corn Growers Association
and the American Soybean Association all disagree.

They said they still see the benefits of the genetically modified crops and
believe existing safety measures by the Animal Plant and Health Inspection
Service can prevent harmful contamination of the food supply.

"Plant-made pharmaceuticals offer tremendous benefits in preventing and
treating diseases," farm bureau President Bob Stallman said.

Soybean association President Dwain Ford said he was encouraged by how
quickly the Agriculture Department last week cracked down on the two
situations, placing the possibly contaminated crops under quarantine.

"Their monitoring procedures prevented the affected soybeans from moving
beyond the single elevator where they were first stored, and that all
soybeans that may have been commingled with the ProdiGene corn product will
be destroyed," Ford said, of the Nebraska soybean incident.

The corn growers group noted its input has been sought during the past two
years to develop safety regulations and policies related to the testing and
production of pharmaceutical proteins in corn.

TITLE:  ProdiGene nears deal on quarantined soybeans
SOURCE: Reuters, by Christopher Doering
DATE:   Nov 18, 2002

ProdiGene nears deal on quarantined soybeans

WASHINGTON - ProdiGene Inc. said it was close to a deal with federal
regulators on how to dispose of some 500,000 bushels of quarantined
soybeans in Nebraska that were accidentally contaminated by an experimental
corn variety the biotech firm engineered to produce medicine.

 "We are in active discussions with USDA," said Anthony Laos, chief
executive of privately held ProdiGene.

"We hope to get that settled today or Monday. We want to get this behind
us," Laos told reporters.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. Agriculture Department's Animal and Plant Health
Inspection Service said the discussions were ongoing, but was uncertain
when an agreement would be reached.

ProdiGene is suspected of contaminating corn fields in Iowa and soybeans in
Nebraska with residue from an experimental corn variety engineered to
produce pharmaceuticals. The bio-corn - which is grown to produce trypsin
and another compound to treat diarrhea - has not been approved for human or
livestock feed.

ProdiGene would like to channel the quarantined soybeans into bio-diesel to
recover some of the costs of buying the 500,000 bushels - more than $2
million, based on the $5.60 per bushel price of soybeans on the Chicago
futures market. Cindy Smith, the USDA's acting head of biotech regulations,
said last week ProdiGene was expected to buy the soybeans and destroy them.

Laos said that if Texas-based ProdiGene would sell the soybeans for non-
food use, ProdiGene would still lose "a couple hundred thousand dollars or
more." ProdiGene also could face fines of up to $500,000 if it violated
federal regulations for experimental field trials of new crops.

The USDA quarantined the soybeans in Nebraska after discovering the
possible contamination during harvest last month. Investigators suspect the
contamination occurred when a small amount of ProdiGene's corn plants mixed
in with soybeans subsequently grown on the same field and adjacent fields.

In Iowa, the company was ordered to destroy 155 acres (63 hectares) of corn
in September because windborne pollen from its bio-corn may have
contaminated nearby fields.

Laos said ProdiGene will shift its plantings next year to areas farther
from fields where food crops are grown. He did not specify the distance.

ProdiGene also will hire more of its own inspectors to ensure compliance
with federal regulations, he said.

Laos said ProdiGene will continue its focus on developing bio-pharm
products, and said that while any financial impact from the pending
investigation may hurt the company, it will not have a long-term impact.

"How this will be handled will be a strain on ProdiGene," said Laos, who
said he took full responsibility for the company's recent problems.

"But it will not put us out of business," he said.

                                  PART III

TITLE:  CSPI on Possible Permit Violations by ProdiGene
SOURCE: Centre for Science in the Public Interest, USA, by Gregory Jaffe
        http://www.cspinet.org/new/200211151.html
DATE:   Nov 15, 2002

CSPI on Possible Permit Violations by ProdiGene
Statement of CSPI Biotechnology Project Director Gregory Jaffe

The permit violations by ProdiGene, Inc., as well as the permit violations
Environmental Protection Agency uncovered earlier this year for genetically
engineered crops grown in Hawaii, provide ample evidence that the
biotechnology industry cannot be trusted to meet its obligations of
safeguarding the food supply and environment. The new infractions are
especially troublesome because the unapproved crops made it so close to
entering the food chain.

To prevent future violations, the federal government needs to put in place
a robust inspection and enforcement program that ensures that permit
conditions are adhered to. This time USDA’s inspection program was able to
catch ProdiGene’s violations before unapproved corn entered the food
supply, but it is unknown whether similar violations have gone undetected.

If the biotechnology industry continues on its path of producing
pharmaceuticals and industrial chemicals in food crops such as corn and
canola, the Food and Drug Administration should have a mandatory premarket
food-safety approval process before those crops can be grown in the field.
That would ensure that no person will be exposed, even inadvertently, to
any harmful substances if permit conditions are violated or containment is
less than 100 percent.

In addition, USDA needs to increase the transparency of its regulatory
process and enforcement activities. The alleged violations occurred weeks
ago, yet the public has still not been adequately informed about the nature
of those violations or the actions taken by the government to contain
problems resulting from those violations.

The enormous promise of agricultural biotechnology will not be realized
unless robust and sensible regulatory systems ensure the safety of products
in an open and transparent manner. The message to consumers from the
ProdiGene problem is that the current regulatory system is far from
achieving that goal.