2-Plants: Only three Bt-corn events stay on U.S. registration list

TITLE:  Developments in Bt corn for 2003
SOURCE: CropWatch News Services, University of Nebraska, USA
        Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources Cooperative Extension
        http://cropwatch.unl.edu/archives/2002/crop02-26.htm#Btcorn_changes
DATE:   Nov 15, 2002

Developments in Bt corn for 2003

Transgenic corn hybrids that are resistant to insects (Bt corn) are no
longer new, and most Nebraska corn producers have grown some of these
hybrids, or at least are familiar with them.

There are, however, new Bt field corn events in development or that will be
available soon. I would like to briefly discuss what events are available
for 2003, what events have been discontinued, and what events are to become
available shortly. Hopefully this will aid in hybrid selection for the 2003
growing season.

First, what is an "event" with respect to Bt corn? An event is the
successful insertion of a gene encoding a Bt protein into corn plant DNA.
Different events vary in the type of Bt protein produced, the expression of
the protein, and the target insect pest. Expression refers to where, how
much, and at what plant stages the Bt protein is produced in the corn plant.

In October 2001, EPA finished a review of three Bt field corn events and
approved registration of the events through October 15, 2008 (see table,
below). These events will be in a variety of corn hybrids and offered
through several seed companies. All are very efficacious against European
corn borer. Two, Bt-11 and Mon810 (both under the trade name YieldGard),
have been around for several years. The Cry1F event (Herculex I), however,
is new for 2003 and also is efficacious against fall armyworm and black
cutworm. Note that the events "suppress" some other caterpillars. If these
other pests are your primary concern, the Bt hybrids may not satisfactorily
control them.

Several commercial products have been discontinued. Their registrations
have either expired or been cancelled. They include KnockOut and NaturGard
(event E-176, Cry1Ab), Bt-Xtra (event DBT-418, Cry1Ac), and StarLink (event
CBH-351, Cry9C). Although the EPA has allowed existing stocks of the E-176
products to be used through the 2003 growing season, I do not expect to see
much of this seed sold. Bt corn hybrids with E-176 events are efficacious
against first generation corn borer, but decrease in efficacy as the plant
matures.

The newest Bt corn hybrids on the block, or soon to be on the block,
contain a Bt protein (Cry3Bb) that is toxic to corn rootworm. They have no
effect on corn borers or any other caterpillars. This event is not
currently registered for commercial use, but may be by the beginning of the
2003 growing season. Depending on when it receives registration, growers
may be able to take advantage of these hybrids or at least see them on a
field level.

Of course, all of these Bt corn hybrids require certain resistance
management practices. For more information on resistance management
requirements for 2003, see NebFact NF00-425, Resistance Management for
European Corn Borer and Bt Transgenic Corn: Refuge Design and Placement
(http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/insects/nf425.htm). For more information on a
host of topics concerning Bt corn and biotechnology, visit the UNL
AgBiosafety Webpage at http://agbiosafety.unl.edu/

Tom Hunt
Extension entomologist
Haskell Ag Lab, Northeast REC

Characteristics of currently available Bt field corn
Bt Event and/or Cry-Protein
Registrant Company
Trade Name
Efficacy
Bt-11, Cry 1Ab
Syngenta Seeds, Inc.
YieldGard
Control of European corn borer, southwestern corn borer,and southern
cornstalk borer. Suppression of corn earworm, fall armyworm and common
stalk borer.
Mon 810, Cry1Ab
Monsanto Co.
YieldGard
Control of European corn borer, southwestern corn borer, and southern
cornstalk borer. Suppression of corn earworm, fall armyworm and common
stalborer.
Cry1F
Mycogen Seeds c/o Dow Agro-sciences LLC; Pioneer Hi-Bred International Inc./
DuPont
Herculex I
Control of European corn borer, southwestern corn borer, fall armyworm, and
black cutworm. Suppression of corn earworm.