9-Misc: GE-free marchers mass to retain moratorium in New Zealand

TITLE:  GE-free marchers mass to retain moratorium
SOURCE: New Zeraland Herald
        http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3004781&
        thesection=news&thesubsection=general
DATE:   Nov 18, 2002

GE-free marchers mass to retain moratorium

Thousands of people carrying anti-genetic engineering banners and placards
protested in central Auckland on Saturday. The GEtup, Stand up March,
organised by GE-free groups, left Aotea Square at 12 noon. Watched by
police, the protesters marched peacefully to a rally in Albert Park. The
protest was aimed at mobilising public opposition to ending the moratorium
on genetic engineering (GE) next October. The Government has indicated the
moratorium will be lifted.

Organisers Greenpeace and Mothers Against Genetic Engineering (Madge)
yesterday said about 10,000 people had marched. Police said the number was
about 6000. Thanking the participants for their enthusiasm, Madge "head
girl" Alannah Currie said the march was "a brilliant event".

"I am incredibly moved to see such a huge cross-section of fabulous New
Zealanders turn up to make their voices heard and actively take part in
this issue. It's time the Government listened to our message: Keep GE in
the lab."

Meanwhile, animal rights protesters demonstrated outside the Sheraton
Auckland yesterday afternoon as delegates arrived for the opening reception
of the Pacific Rim Biotechnology Conference. The three-day conference is
the biggest international biotechnology event New Zealand has hosted.
Security had been tightened in case there were protests against genetic
engineering.