9-Misc: USDA sponsors pro-GE seminar in Thailand

TITLE:  Korn throws weight behind genetic crops
        Deputy PM points to high yields, low costs
SOURCE: The Bangkokpost, Thailand, by Kultida Samabuddhi
        http://www.bangkokpost.com/071102_News/07Nov2002_news15.html
DATE:   Nov 7, 2002

Korn throws weight behind genetic crops
Deputy PM points to high yields, low costs

Thailand should adopt genetic engineering to increase crop yields and lower
costs, says Deputy Prime Minister Korn Dabbaransi. However, the government
should take heed of the debate on the pros and cons first. Europe and the
United States held different opinions on whether the world should embrace
the technology. "The EU and the US, the two heavy-weights on biotechnology,
are trying to conquer the Asian market, which is home to half the world's
population," Mr Korn told a seminar on technology's role in sustainable
agriculture in Asia held by the United States-based biotechnology company
CropLife. Asia could no longer ignore biotechnology, he said, because the
region was obliged to comply with health and environmental regulations,
which were often used as non-tariff barriers.

Greenpeace Southeast Asia, however, said the technology was unsafe. "There
is plenty of scientific evidence showing that genetically modified crops
destroy useful insects, besides making some harmful insects stronger and
resistant to pesticides, and killing the genes," said Varoonvarn
Svangsopakul, a campaigner.

Scientists and agricultural experts presented reports at a seminar on
Tuesday on the benefits of GM crops. "Recent studies on cotton in China
showed that farmers achieve higher efficiency, decreased use of pesticides,
and a 20-30% reduction in costs," said John Skerritt of the Australian
Centre for International Agricultural Research. The seminar was sponsored
by the US Department of Agriculture.

Margarita Escaler, of the International Service for the Acquisition of Agri-
biotech Applications, said GM crops are grown commercially in 14 countries,
including India and China. Nearly half the soybeans grown worldwide are GM
soybeans.

Thai biotechnology scientist Sakarindr Bhumiratana said the government
should be more decisive. "They should state clearly whether to allow
growing of GM crops," he said. The government restricts field trials of GM
crops and a labelling law obliging companies to declare the contents of
products comes into force next May.

Rod McSherry, agricultural counsellor for the US embassy, said the US, the
world's largest GM crop producer, did not mean to promote genetic
technology. "We do not want to tell other countries that biotechnology is
good and should be adopted. We just want to confirm that GM crops are safe
to eat," he said.