3-Food: Zimbabwean politican supports Zambias anti-GE food position

TITLE:  Africa can't afford to starve - Zim envoy
SOURCE: The Post, Zambia, by Noel Sichalw
DATE:   Nov 5, 2002

Africa can't afford to starve - Zim envoy

AFRICA cannot afford to starve when it can grow enough food to feed its
people, Zimbabwean High Commissioner to Zambia Cain Mathema has said.
Commenting on Zambia's rejection of the genetically modified (GM) foods,
High Commissioner Mathema said Zambia had decided what was right for its
citizens. He said considering the implications that GM foods might cause to
the people, Zambia had made the right decision that should be respected by
other countries. "As Africans, we should not be accepting anything that
America offers to us as a gift."

The continent is so rich that we can grow enough food to feed our people.
Zambia should take this decision according to the implications that GM
foods may cause to the people who might consume it. So far, nobody knows
the exact negative effects of the GMOs," High Commissioner Mathema said.
"People may consume it now, but who knows what might happen later?" High
Commissioner Mathema said GMOs were produced by rich countries that aimed
at making profit with the hope that African countries could buy it due to
the severe hunger situation. "GMOs are not given as a charity donation."

They are produced by companies that aim at making profit from the sell of
the products. If we are not careful, GMOs might have a negative impact on
our hybrid seeds and this might negatively affect our original African
products at the international market," he said. High Commissioner Mathema
said the European Union (EU) market was strict on GM products and that the
African products could be affected if GM products were adopted. "If African
countries adopt the use of GMOs, they can therefore, have negative affects
in terms of competing with other countries on the international market," he
said. High Commissioner Mathema said if African countries started using GMO
seeds, they could end up buying their agricultural seeds from American or
European countries as the original seed would be destroyed.

He said government should grow much maize, being the staple food and store
it in bulk in order to avert any hunger situation in future. "There is no
reason why Zambia should fail to grow enough food for its people. Look at
countries like Russia, they have stocks of food that can last for the next
ten years. If we therefore, start thinking on these lines, we can also
avert any hunger in our countries," said High Commissioner Mathema.