2-Plants: Australian farmers not ready for GM crops

TITLE:  SA farmers not ready for GM crops - survey -
SOURCE: Australian Broadcasting Corporation
        http://www.abc.net.au/rural/news/stories/s715664.htm
DATE:   Oct 31, 2002

SA farmers not ready for GM crops - survey -

South Australian farmers are not ready to embrace genetically-modified
crops. That's the key message from a survey sent to four-thousand members
of the South Australian Farmers Federation. Leigh Radford reports the
survey results show overwhelming opposition to the release of GM crops in
that state. "A statistically definitive sample of 25 per cent of surveyed
farmers revealed that 70 per cent believe there is too little information
on the subject." Of those surveyed, 66 per cent are concerned about the
market implications of GMOs. "Most extraordinary of all, 80 per cent of
South Australian Farmers support a moratorium on the release of any GM
crops in that state." President John Lush says it's sent his federation a
clear and unmistakable message. "They're saying obviously very clearly to
us, that as a Farmers Federation that we're not ready to have GM crops yet.
We just want to take a big deep breath and let some of this stuff sort
itself out. We're just not going to have a bar of the release of GM crops
at this stage."

This is a transcript from the ABC National Rural News that is broadcast
daily to all states on ABC Regional Radio's Country Hour and in the city on
ABC News Radio.

TITLE:  Manjimup rejects GM canola application
SOURCE: Australian Broadcasting Corporation
        http://abc.net.au/news/australia/wa/bunbury/regbun-30oct2002-7.htm
DATE:   Oct 30, 2002

Manjimup rejects GM canola application

The Shire of Manjimup, in south-western WA, has rejected an application to
have genetically modified (GM) canola grown in the municipality.
Multinational bio-technology company Monsanto approached the shire with the
proposal, which was considered by the council last week. Shire chief
executive Vern McKay says the council will now have to adopt a position on
GM crops. However, he says in this case council rejected the proposal. "I'm
not aware of any canola that's growing here at the moment, but council's
view was that no, it would not support it on a vote of 10 to three, simply
because there are too many unknowns about it at this stage," he said.