3-Food: Recent articles on GE food aid (4): ActionAid

TITLE:  GM food aid in Southern Africa:
        Zambian decision on GM grain expected imminently
SOURCE: Action Aid, Uk, Press Release
        http://www.actionaid.org/newsandmedia/grain.shtml
DATE:   Oct 15, 2002

GM food aid in Southern Africa: Zambian decision on GM grain expected
imminently

This week, the government of Zambia is expected to announce whether it will
take GM grain as food aid. Because of the seriousness of the issue and of
the situation in southern Africa, ActionAid is speaking out on GM food aid.
We currently fund famine relief work in Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia and
Zimbabwe and have 30 years of field experience.

Maintaining food supplies The first and paramount consideration is that the
flow of food aid to hungry people must not be broken. Zambia has 3 million
people at risk. Southern Africa as a whole needs to import over 2 million
metric tonnes of grain and 14 million people face hunger.

But we must recognise that GM food aid is one of the critical issues facing
poor communities, governments and aid agencies working in drought stricken
areas of southern Africa and ultimately in the continent as a whole. Its
long-term impact cannot be ignored in countries where agriculture is a way
of life and the lifeblood of economies*.

Tied aid and best practice Whilst the US is the biggest donor to the
region, its aid, through USAID, comes with strings attached. It either
donates foodstuffs or it ties its monetary aid to the purchase of US
produce.

This is despite being a signatory of the 1999 Food Aid Convention, which
recognises that food aid should be bought from the most cost effective
source, be culturally acceptable and if possible purchased locally so that
regional markets do not suffer. The UK, Japan, Netherlands and Norway have
all donated cash, as best practice dictates.

Availability of non-GM grain The UN's World Food Programme (WFP) is
effectively hamstrung by tied aid conditions imposed by the US government
who will only donate unsegregated grain (grain that is a mixture of GM and
non-GM) even though it is still possible to obtain enough non-GM grain from
Africa, Europe, China and India.

If it is not a practical option to source non-GM grain in time, US maize
should be milled into flour on request at donor expense. This would be the
best way to avoid GM maize being planted locally - a key consideration for
regional governments.

The WFP currently has 34 ships on the high seas delivering food aid. Seven
of these ships contain grain and two contain milled flour. Despite
difficulties it is clearly possible to mill grain into flour before it
reaches the region.

Governments' rights and international agreements Governments have the right
to make their own decisions on national food policies. We should also not
forget that under the UN's Cartagena Protocol brokered in 2000, any country
may reject GM food according to the precautionary principle (countries do
not need scientific proof that GM is harmful to health), threats to
biodiversity and to the non-GM trading status of a given country and that
equally they will not be penalised for taking this stance. The US has
refused to ratify this agreement.

Donald Mavunduse, ActionAid's Emergencies Programme Adviser said: "Whilst
getting food to hungry people is paramount, the threat of starvation should
not be used as a bargaining chip for the introduction of GM technology.
African governments and civil society organisations have raised legitimate
concerns about GM. They worry about its safety for health and the
environment, how it is controlled and by whom and about the impact of GM on
the future livelihoods of their citizens. These concerns should be
addressed, not ridden over roughshod."

Governments' accountability Governments in the region must do their best to
combat the crisis. The Zambian government must urgently carry out a
reassessment of need and clearly state from where it can source non-GM
grain and how much it requires. It should also investigate the possibility
of grain swaps as has happened with one Zimbabwean consignment.

Across the region and in the medium to long term, rural development
projects must be prioritised and marketing networks established.
Additionally, SADC countries must develop clear and transparent policies on
food security that address the issue of GM.

Donald Mavunduse said:"Zambia has a right to reject GM food aid, but not at
the expense of its people dying of hunger. The Zambian government must
urgently carry out an assessment of need and make absolutely sure that it
can source enough non-GM grain on the world market in order to maintain the
vital flow of food aid."

* Across Africa 7 out of 10 people earn their living from subsistence
farming and they are growing poorer. African farming families - the rural
poor - are increasingly vulnerable when there are poor harvests. In
addition to Southern Africa, Ethiopia is currently suffering from severe
food shortages, as is The Gambia. Lack of investment in rural development
and uncontrolled rates of HIV and AIDS have combined with unfair
international trade rules and subsidies in the western world's agricultural
sectors to deepen poverty. Against this background, there are valid
concerns that GM technology, owned and controlled by international
agrochemical companies could undermine rights to save and exchange seeds
and trigger adverse effects on poor farmers' agricultural futures.

For further information contact: Jane Moyo, ActionAid-UK Media Unit, +44
(0)20 7561 7614 or +44 (0)20 7561 7633