9-Misc: GE activists storm stage at Bayer AG's share holder meeting

TITLE:  Activists storm stage at Bayer AG's AGM to protest over the
        companies' GM crop interests
SOURCE: Coalition against BAYER-dangers Network, Germany
DATE:   April 30, 2002

----------------- archive: http://www.gene.ch/genet.html -----------------

Activists storm stage at Bayer AGs AGM to protest over the companies' GM
crop interests

Seven GM activists from the UK and Holland managed to sneak into Bayer AG's
shareholder meeting in Cologne/Germany on April 26th. Their mission to let the
directors, employees and shareholders of Bayer know that Bayer's new venture
into GM crops will not go unopposed.

Wearing suits and using a wheel chair as a Trojan Horse the activists managed
to evade heavy security (including x-ray machines and metal detectors) and
enter the main meeting hall. D-locks and Hand-cuffs had to be abandoned in the
foyer when it became obvious how tight security was. At 10:30 am after the
introductory speeches, one person jumped on to the stage and began addressing
the audience over the PA. Simultaneously 2 activists climbed the side of the
stage, managing to reach a height of about 30 feet and staying aloft for 3-4
minutes shouting anti-GM slogans before being removed by security. Other
activists miraculously leapt out of a wheel chair and stormed the stage and
attempted to hang a banner reading "Bayer raus aus dem Gen-tech Anbau" ("Bayer
get out of GM crops") before being foiled by plain clothes security hidden in
the audience. Other activists occupied the speaking podium grabbing the
microphone and ranting at the board in German, blowing whistles and generally
causing chaos.

All seven activists were eventually removed from the 3,000 capacity venue by
heavy handed private security, sustaining cuts and bruises and were handed
over to the police. They were arrested and held for an hour before being
released without charge having been banned from the area of the conference
centre. In a bizarre twist to the story, before being driven away by Police
all the activists (as Bayer shareholders themselves for the day) were given
the chance to vote on a number of share holder resolutions by Bayer
representatives apparently anxious that they should not be denied their voting
rights.

Bayer following their acquisition of Aventis CropScience which is due to be
completed within the next week will own over 85% of the GM field trials in the
UK and will be the company doing most to push for the commercial growing of GM
crops in Europe.

Reference at indymedia website: http://uk.indymedia.org:8081//
front.php3?article_id=3D29183
More Pictures: www.arbeiterfotografie.com
Additional Information: http://www.Bayerhazard.com

KEYCODE BAYER is published by the German group CBG/Coalition against BAYER-
dangers which has been monitoring the BAYER Corporation for more than 20
years.

CBG collects information about BAYER and coordinates activities against
violations of human and environmental rights caused by this company. Anyone
who has information on possibly illicit activities of BAYER or who wants to
receive our newsletter regularly - please let us know. Anyone who needs photos
or information concerning BAYER is invited to contact us:
CBG, Postfach 15 04 18, 40081 Duesseldorf, Germany
E-mail: CBGnetwork@aol.com
website: www.CBGnetwork.org
Tel: (+49) 211 333 911
Fax: (+49) 211 333 940