3-Food: European Consumer Union position on GE food

TITLE:  Look abroad for mature attitude to GE debate
SOURCE: Financial Times - Asia Intelligence Wire, by John Palmer
DATE:   July 16, 2002

Dear GENET-news readers,
recently, several pro-GE articles tried to create the impression that there
is no real resistance against GMOs and GE food in Europe, especially the
EU. One of those articles quotes the European Consumers Union (BEUC), which
is not opposed to GMOs in principle, assuming that the claimed advantages
of GMOs might have caused the view of BEUC. BEUC always argued that they
are not against GMOs as such and they have been silent in the environmental
debate in general. But they demand strict consumer safety and consumer
information standards which have to be met before. Those demands where not
reported by the New Zealand GE-protagonist. If he had told the readers
about BEUC's demands he had to oppose them fiercely because they are not in
line with the arguments of GE-promoters. The article than would have lost
its main point - that there is no real GE resistance in Europe.

Please read the recent BEUC document "Background Information for GMO
dinner" below.

Yours,
Hartmut Meyer

*****

Look abroad for mature attitude to GE debate

16.07.2002 "The European Consumers Union is not opposed to GMOs." This is a
quote from an address by Willemien Bax of the European Consumers
Organisation to a conference I attended in Holland last month.

[...]

In plant breeding, there is a continual need to improve food and forage
crops, both to feed a hungry world and ensure it is done in a biologically
safer way. Of the six billion global population, a significant percentage
already live in poverty. By 2025, the world population will have grown to
eight billion, and we will either have helped to meet that growing food
gap, or face the geo-political consequences of living smugly in the South
Pacific. This challenge also provides economic opportunities for science,
research and production in a range of products.

My own company, Wrightson, has an interest and investment in these areas.
The frustration with the current argument is not just with its emotional
blackmail, but with the opportunities it will deny to New Zealand. The
prospect of breeding plants better able to tolerate drought or cold or high
salt levels or highly toxic areas creates truly exciting possibilities in
dealing with past pollution problems, and with sustainability.

Perhaps that's why the European Consumers Organisation has the view it
does. Maybe it has recognised that there are so many potential benefits it
is unwise to prevent cautious introduction of GMOs.

TITLE:  Background Information for GMO dinner
SOURCE: BEUC Document /X/022/2002
        http://212.3.246.142/2/DIKJFELDDOEFOAOGGABLMFHAPDBY9DBKP39DW3571KM/
        BEUC/docs/DLS/2002-00427-01-E.pdf
DATE:   June 3, 2002

Background Information for GMO dinner

Genetic modification is a major new technology with the potential to change
our lives; but it must not be imposed on consumers without their knowledge.
Only one or two years ago it was claimed that the preservation of a non-GM
alternative would require separate handling facilities at every stage of
the food chain, making segregation impossible. It has now been proven that
it is entirely possible to segregate GM material from non-GM material
throughout the entire food production, processing and distribution chain.
It has, however, also been recognised that adventitious or accidental
contamination with GMOs is almost impossible to avoid.

Thresholds

Authorised GMOs

- We demand that the maximum acceptable level of adventitious contamination
of commodity products such as maize and soya be set at 1%. It is important
that this threshold is kept under review with the aim of reducing it, as
the supply chain becomes more sophisticated.
- Lower threshold levels should be applied on a case by case basis for
whole/single products, such as fish, apples or tomatoes and be set as low
as technically possible.
- The discussion on seeds currently underway (the Commission has issued a
working document on this issue) is an important part of the GMO discussion,
as seeds are the main source of adventitious contamination of both feed and
food.

Non-authorised GMOs

- Thresholds for adventitious contamination with non-authorised GMOs are
only acceptable if the product has been subject to a positive EU risk
assessment procedure under 2001/18/EC for live GMOs and under the relevant
procedures dealing with GMO-derived food and feed. Moreover, a final risk
management decision (by the European Commission) should also be taken.
- All appropriate steps must be taken to avoid contamination, through good
farming practices (such as segregation of crops, etc.).
- Validated testing and sampling methods must be developed.
- Suitable reference material must be available to contribute to the
assessment procedure, as this is necessary for identification. In this
respect, it is essential that the EU establish a workable world-wide
database of GMO material.

Labelling (page 4 studies 3,4,5,6,7)

- Consumers should be able to choose whether or not to buy GM foods through
clear labelling.
- There is a risk that consumers will assume that unlabelled foods are not
produced from GMs. This could be misleading, because some ingredients
derived from GMOs might not contain GMO derived protein or DNA any longer
following technological treatment.
- Some consumers do not want to eat any products derived from GMOs, even if
GM ingredients cannot technically be distinguished from the traditional
equivalent. For this reason, we call for technology labelling, but this
requires the tracing of ingredients throughout the food chain.
- Scientific detection of GMO in the final product is a useful
complementary tool to verify that labelling is accurate and honest, but not
the only possibility to verify the correctness of labelling claims. In many
other cases paper trials are used to check the correctness of labelling
claims, without being able to properly test by physical, chemical or
biological means. Similar paper trial procedures are used to check beef
labelling, labelling of organic produce, labelling of products with
recognised protected origin, and others.

GM-free labelling

- GM free labels have a lot of potential to mislead, as adventitious
contamination can never be entirely excluded.
- A number of studies have found organic food or feed contaminated with
GMOs, or GMOs in products claiming to be GM-free. (page 4, studies: 1, 2,
4).
- Rules for GMO-free labelling have so far only been established in three
EU countries: Austria, Germany, and the Netherlands. While in Austria there
are some products on the market (as they have their own GMO-free soya
production) in Germany and the Netherlands there are hardly GM-free
products available.
- In the other EU countries no rules for GMO-free labelling have been
established, yet products labelled GMO-free are on the market. (page 4,
point 9).
- Recent research, such as the December 2001 issue of the Eurobarometer,
demonstrates that consumers who want to avoid eating GM food are currently
in the majority. Due to these findings and likely consumer demand, we fear
that GM-free products would become premium products, and much more
expensive.
- We also do not see why consumers should have to pay more for what is a
'standard' product and fear that low-income consumers would be
disproportionately disadvantaged.

Conclusions

Labels must indicate that a product is produced from GMOs if it:
- has been produced without using Identity Preservation and contains
detectable levels of GM material or derivatives (as IP is not used, no
threshold applies, thus even GM presence below the accepted thresholds must
be declared on the label);
- has been produced without using Identity Preservation and GMO derived
protein or DNA are no longer detectable;
- has been produced using Identity Preservation (i.e. segregation of GMOs
from non-GMOs) but contains detectable levels of GM material and
ingredients produced from GMO exceeding the maximum 1% threshold for
commodity products, and exceeding possible lower thresholds to be set for
single products such as fish, apple and tomatoes;
- has been produced using Identity Preservation, but nevertheless exceeding
the 1 % threshold in the raw material, while the presence of GMO derived
protein or DNA can no longer be detected or tested for in the final food
product (such as soya oil or sugar for which there is no possibility to
test).

GMO labelling studies conducted by BEUC members and others

1. In June 2001 the Danish Plant Directorate (the controlling authority)
found GMOs in 42% of 48 samples of organic feed, 17% contained more than
the maximum threshold, i.e. 1%.

2. The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) conducted a survey in 2001
focusing on the presence of GMOs in dried soy products, soy substitutes for
diary products and soy infant formulae. 18 of the 37 samples contained GM
ingredients. None of the samples contained GMOs at the threshold level,
however a number of the products were labelled to indicate that they
contained no GM ingredients.

3. A study of some 30 products conducted by BEUC«s Italian member
organisation, Altroconsumo, in June 1999, found a high percentage of GMOs
(7.6% and 24%) in two products that were not labelled.

4. A study of 300 products conducted by the Chamber of Commerce of Turin in
December 2001, found that 20.6% of the products containing GMOs had not
been labelled, and that of the 47 organic products studied, 15.5% (7
products) contained GMOs. Two of the 12 products that claimed to be GMO-
free were found to contain GMOs, and a snack food for pets was found to be
100% GMO.

5. In the summer of 1999, OCU, the Spanish BEUC member organisation,
conducted a test of 30 products. In two baby food products- for babies less
than four months old- and one soya dessert, GMOs were found above the 1%
threshold, yet these products were not labelled.

6. In January 2002 the UK Standards Agency found 31 bakery foods out of a
sample of 203 to contain genetically modified (GM) soya. Of the 31 positive
products, 19 contained quantifiable amounts of GM soya and a further 12
contained unquantified 'traces' of the material. The labels did not state
that these products contained GMOs (Press release: The Food Commission of 7
February 2002).

7. UFC Que Choisir, BEUC's French member, tested 88 products in January
1999. Only one product mentioned the presence of GM on its label, but GMOs
were found in an additional eight products.

8. Tests conducted by Stiftung Warentest, a German BEUC member, on 82
products in 2000, indicated that 31 contained GMOs although mostly in
traces only. Three imported products contained amounts of GMO that needed
to be labelled, i.e. 2-3 %.

9. In Belgium products labelled "GMO-free" are on the market while no rules
for GMO-free labelling have been established.

10. Finally, Stiftung Warentest is currently testing commercial products
from six different European countries (France, Germany, Austria, Poland,
Island and Slovenia) for GMOs. Test results are expected within the next
few months. (Project 2001/12807.00, title: Genetically modified maize and
genetically modified soya in foods - a contribution to informing consumers
and thus enabling them to make a free choice on what they buy).

Bureau Europeen des Unions de Consommateurs
Avenue de Tervueren 36, bte 4
B-1040 Bruxelles
Tel: +32(0)27 43 15 90
Fax: +32(0)27 40 28 02