8-Humans: South Korea sets rules for embryo research and bans cloning

TITLE:  Gov't set to clear embryos for use in medical research
SOURCE: The Korean Herald, by Lee Jae-hee
        http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/html_dir/2002/07/16/
        200207160049.asp
DATE:   July 16, 2002

Gov't set to clear embryos for use in medical research

Embryos meeting certain requirements will likely be approved for medical
research starting next year, the Ministry of Health and Welfare said
yesterday in proposed regulations addressing bioethical issues. According
to guidelines on bioethics put forward by the ministry at a public forum
yesterday, the ministry will ban the cloning of somatic cells, while
embryos less than 14 days old, which are left over from infertility
treatments, will be greenlighted for research. The ministry proposed that
embryos only be used in stem cell research to treat diseases and develop
contraception technology or infertility treatments. However, the ministry
banned the cloning of individual humans and hybridization between humans
and animals. For pregnant women, gene testing of embryos is restricted to
confirming the presence of hereditary diseases, the ministry's proposal
said. Gene therapy can only be used on patients with hereditary diseases,
cancer or AIDS or in cases where no alternative treatment exists. The
ministry plans to submit the guidelines to the National Assembly after
reaching an agreement with related ministries including the Ministry of
Science and Technology.

TITLE:  Human cloning firm sets up affiliate in Korea
SOURCE: The Korean Herald
        http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/html_dir/2002/07/13/
        200207130006.asp
DATE:   July 13, 2002

Human cloning firm sets up affiliate in Korea

Clonaid, a human cloning firm, has established an affiliate company in
Korea, participants at the International Bio Expo in Japan said Thursday.
Participants and foreign media who attended the first biotechnology
exposition in Tokyo, said that Clonaid's vice president Thomas Kaenzig
claimed that BioFusion Tech Inc., a South Korean company owned by Clonaid,
had developed an "embryonic cell fusion system or RMX2010." The sources in
Japan said that the RMX2010 allegedly creates a stable electronic pulse
required to develop human embryos to the blastocyst stage. The blastocyst
stage is the state an embryo reaches five or six days after it has been
fertilized, which is a critical step to instigate the cloning procedure.
They also said that Kaenzig believes human cloning will become
"commonplace" within ten years, though he failed to comment on any advances
the company has made toward actually cloning a human being. Related to
this, an official at BioFusion Tech Inc. confirmed that the company was set
up two months ago as a wholly owned subsidiary of Clonaid and that there
were currently three Korean technicians and six foreign employees working
at the company. The BioFusion employee also said that about 10 Koreans have
asked for cloning services, which according to the company Web site
(www.clonaid.com) can cost around $200,000.

                                  PART III

TITLE:  Controversial and revolutionary !
        Rael's new book "Yes, to human cloning".
SOURCE: CloneAid, USA
        http://www.clonaid.com/english/pages/news.html
DATE:   July, 2002

Controversial and revolutionary ! RaelŐs new book "Yes, to human cloning".

Three years ago, Rael, the well-known spiritual leader of the Raelian
Movement, the world's largest UFO-related organisation counting 55,000
people in 84 countries, founded CLONAID(TM), the first company offering to
clone human beings. In this book, he explains how today's cloning
technology is the first step in the quest for eternal life.

Once we can clone exact replicas of ourselves, the next step will be to
transfer our memory and personality into our newly cloned brains, which
will allow us to truly live forever. Since we will be able to remember all
our past, we will be able to accumulate knowledge ad infinitum.

Thus today, man's ultimate dream of eternal life, which past religions only
promised after death in mythical paradise, becomes a scientific reality.
Rael, with exceptional vision, allows us an extraordinary glimpse into an
amazing future and explains how our nascent technology will revolutionize
our world and transform our lives. For example, he describes how
nanotechnology will make agriculture and heavy industry redundant, how
super-artificial intelligence will quickly perform human intelligence, how
eternal life in a computer will be possible whitout the need for any
biological body, and much, much more.

And as Rael says, don't be mistaken in thinking that this is 22nd-century
science fiction. All this will happen within the next 20 years! This is a
book written to prepare us for an unimaginably beautiful world, turned into
a paradise, where no one needs work anymore!

*****

to read more about CloneAid, please check their web page