3-Food: Japan approves new GE crops for human consumption

TITLE:  Japan approves biotec corn, soy varieties for food
SOURCE: Reuters
DATE:   July 18, 2002

Japan approves biotec corn, soy varieties for food

TOKYO - Japan's Health Ministry said yesterday it had approved three
varieties of genetically modified (GM) corn and soybeans as safe for human
consumption, paving the way for more imports of controversial bioengineered
foods. Approved crops are insect-resistant, herbicide-tolerant GM corn -
called Herculex I - from U.S. chemical firm Dow Chemical Co and two
varieties of herbicide-tolerant GM soybeans from Franco-German
pharmaceutical group Aventis SA The number of GM plants Japan has approved
for human consumption thus rises to 43 varieties of six crops-corn,
soybean, sugar beet, potato, rapeseed and cotton.

Genetically modified crops contain a gene from another organism to give
plants resistance to a certain herbicide or the ability to produce its own
toxin to kill pests. Critics say not enough research has been done to
ensure the new technology is safe for the environment and public health.
Japan, the world's largest net importer of farm products, started importing
GM crops six years ago as farmers in the United States began adopting the
new technology.

To alleviate consumer concerns about the safety of GM foods, the Japanese
government established in April 2001 zero tolerance for imports containing
unapproved GM products and required mandatory labelling for foods
containing approved GM products. The United States, the world's biggest
producer of GM crops, is the largest supplier of grains and oilseeds to
Japan, which imports roughly 16 million tonnes of corn and 4.8 million
tonnes of soybeans annually.