7-Business: Russia to restrict GM feed imports

TITLE:  Russia to restrict GM feed imports from Oct 1-AgMin
SOURCE: Reuters
DATE:   July 11, 2002

Russia to restrict GM feed imports from Oct 1-AgMin

MOSCOW - Russia will restrict imports of animal feed containing genetically
modified (GM) material from October, First Deputy Agriculture Minister
Sergei Dankvert said this week. "From October 1 we will import only
registered products," Dankvert told reporters. A government resolution, to
take effect from October 1, authorises the Agriculture Ministry to issue
registration certificates for feeds containing GM components, which will
serve as import permits.

Dankvert said the ministry planned to elaborate and publish rules on GM
feeds registration within a month. He said he expected complications to
appear on imports of feeds containing both registered and non-registered
components. "Legislation of some countries allows mixing different GM
products in one shipment. But suppliers will be obliged to bring in only
products registered in Russia," Dankvert said. He declined to name
exporting countries which could be affected by the new scheme.

But an analyst said the restrictions might have an impact on soybean
products from the United States, Brazil and Argentina. "We expect Russia to
import around 570,000 tonnes of soymeal and soybean flake this marketing
season (October to September)," said Andrei Chernyshov, head of analysis at
Rusagrokapital - a major grain processing and animal feed producing
company. "These volumes are quite large, and restrictions may have negative
consequences for both producers and Russian animal breeders," Chernyshov
said.

He said the impact of the new rules on another GM feed - U.S.-produced
maize - might not be as strong. "On the one hand, U.S. maize exports to
Russia are negligible as compared to the total output. And on the other,
Russia can easily find a substitute in Ukraine or Hungary." Chernyshov
estimated Russia's maize imports from the United states at up to 200,000
tonnes this season, adding that only part of that total was meant for
animal feed.