3-Food: Interview with WFP Southern Africa Regional Director

TITLE:  Interview with WFP regional director Judith Lewis
SOURCE: UN Integrated Regional Information Networks
        http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=28627&SelectRegion=
        Southern_Africa
DATE:   July 3, 2002

  "Hungry people don't have politics. So we're very strict. The NGOs that
   we work with go through an extensive training and we train them in our
   criteria in how we decide who's poor and how these people qualify. We
   take a long, long time and we've been very meticulous in trying to
   articulate this and then gone to the local level to make sure they
   understand."
                                      WFP regional director Judith Lewis

Interview with WFP regional director Judith Lewis

JOHANNESBURG, 3 Jul 2002 (IRIN) - The World Food Programme on Monday said
it needed US $507 million to fund close to one million mt of food for 10.2
million people in six countries in Southern Africa until the next main
harvest in March 2003.

Recent country assessments in Malawi, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Lesotho
and Swaziland have shown that 12.8 million people are in need of food aid
and a recent Angolan assessment has added another 1.4 million people. The
situation in Namibia is still being analysed.

IRIN spoke to Judith Lewis, World Food Programme (WFP) Regional Director
for East and Southern Africa, about the WFP's work. She commented on
allegations over the politicisation of food aid in Zimbabwe, the role
regional governments need to play to assist relief deliveries, and the
danger of the situation deteriorating.

Question: Is there a deadline for the appeal to be most effective?

Answer: We think that we have to have food pre-positioned before the rainy
season [which begins in October in most Southern African countries] because
so many of these people live in very remote areas and they are going to be
cut off and then the only option would be to go to more expensive
airdropping and those types of delivery mechanisms. Our strategy is that we
should have one month's stock in-country, two months' stock prepositioned
and one month coming on the high seas, so that we can plan, so that you
have constant pipelines of food rather than breaks where we have to stop
and it causes too much disruptions.

Q: What is the involvement of the governments affected by the crisis in
what you are doing. How do they help? Elaborate on any difficulties if any?

A: Part of United Nations response is always to be in response with
government. The mission I've just been on with Mr [Kenzo] Oshima, [UN
Emergency Relief Coordinator], this is the first question that he asked:
'tell me what your strategy is to deal with this crisis' and certainly, on
the food side we've built all of our response based on the government doing
their part on the commercial side. Commercial inputs are key to this
response so we have to monitor very closely if they're going to be able to
have enough money, foreign exchange to bring in commercial [imports] and
we're going to have to monitor that. In Zimbabwe and in Malawi, there
clearly is an internal co-ordination structure that's put together by the
government. They are taking the lead in bringing the efforts together. Some
governments are going to be more effective than other governments but
certainly it is exciting to see how proactive the government in Malawi was
in terms of bringing everybody together. They had a very realistic
structure in place and they want to work with all the partners. So that is
the first question we always ask, what do you do and what is your
contribution to this crisis? So on the food side, yes they are trying to
import food, the issue would be whether or not they have enough foreign
currency to meet the gap. And then on the co-ordination side certainly they
have to be responsible for that.

Q: How do you prevent corruption on a grand scale from preventing truck
loads going missing, or on a smaller scale where food might be sold on a
market. Is it okay for somebody to take that bag of food aid to the market
if they need the cash for something else?

A: Sure, WFP has never proposed that we can cover all their needs and
families need other stuff than grain and if they can sell part of that to
get soap, I mean, my goodness, the scabies business, it's hygiene ... Now
we have a problem if the man sells it and goes and buys beer. You can't
prevent that. I mean we can't follow, you can't monitor or track that food
into somebody's mouth but certainly part of our advocacy and of our NGO
partners as well, is to encourage the families to eat that food. But it's
going to happen. We see this in every operation around the world that some
of it will end up in the market and that's regrettable that people aren't
eating the food but on a small scale it's going to happen. Now, in terms of
how do we keep the transporters from driving off with the truck. We have
security bonds with transporters so this means that if they lose that truck
they have to pay for it or if they lose that cargo they have to pay for it -
 it's an insurance policy. Now, can people come with guns and take bags of
grain. Yes, it's possible. So those kinds of diversions happen and we call
those losses and we track them so that we can go back to the donor and say
okay, we lost 150 mt or 50 mt or whatever it is because accidents will
happen, there is spillage, there are breaks in bags. We have monitors that
go to the distribution sites, we work with our NGOs and we keep very
meticulous records of what's distributed.

Q: What practical steps do you take to prevent the politicisation of food?

A: The only country we have had that problem in is Zimbabwe and I think we
need to put it in context. In Zimbabwe you have a very polarised press so I
think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Now it is clear that there is
some confusion in reporting on what is going on on the ground. How much of
it is true, I don't know. The World Food Programme has only in the last
three or four weeks distributed over 12,000 mt of food. That is compared to
232,000 mt distributed by the government. So what happens is they've seen
food moving around, they've seen certain groups getting privileges and
receiving food. That food is not the food that has been resourced out of
the World Food Programme. We have a zero tolerance policy for any type of
food being used as any type of weapon, let alone a political weapon. Hungry
people don't have politics. So we're very strict. The NGOs that we work
with go through an extensive training and we train them in our criteria in
how we decide who's poor and how these people qualify. We take a long, long
time and we've been very meticulous in trying to articulate this and then
gone to the local level to make sure they understand. We have had one or
two incidences where it has been a problem. In one case we've suspended the
distributions until we sorted out the criteria. In another we didn't start
the distribution until all of it was sorted out. So we follow up
immediately if there is a problem and we are prepared to take the steps
necessary to ensure the integrity of the food. So, no, it's not a tough
[question] for me, we have been very clear, very articulate and we have
been very clear with government as well.

Q: What role does the Zimbabwe government's land reform policy play in the
food crisis?

A: From our assessments it was measured that the commercial farming sector
was down by about 59 percent so clearly when you have that kind of cut in
the production of food that would normally be available for export, that
had to contribute to the overall crisis. The disruption of the commercial
farming, and then you have a natural shock [of drought] on top of it, it
did contribute to this. And that [the 59 percent] was down from a bad year
last year. The same amount of acreage was planted overall, but with the
drought it significantly disrupted production.

Q: Is the Grain Marketing Board's monopoly a problem?

A: Yes. The issue is that it is linked to the government's ability to be
able to keep enough food in the market and to provide subsidies which are
necessary according to the government policy. So yes, we think that's part
of the problem. Not trying to make a pronouncement one way or another but
we do think that is one of the things that is going to prohibit any type of
public or private enterprises and to be able to get food available and on
the shelves for people who still have assets. And what's very worrying now
is that not only are poor people suffering because they couldn't afford to
buy food anyway, but you have another sector of the population who still
could afford to buy food but there's nothing available so that just
exacerbates and compounds the complexity.

Q: Southern African Development Community (SADC) representatives are going
to Maputo on Friday to discuss their response to the crisis. Have they been
slow in responding?

A: No, I think we've been talking very much with SADC. There is a role for
SADC - I think there are a number of policy issues and facilitation roles
that SADC can play and I think their leadership is very important. The
other message that I received from SADC is that they really would like to
let the WFP and their other partners look at the operation from the food
side. To let us really do the logistics coordination and moving the food.
But they have had to look very clearly at the longer term policy
implications of this. They want to work to see how the countries can work
together to say 'never again, we don't want to see these countries in the
same predicament 10 years down the road.' So clearly SADC has a role, they
have been engaged throughout, they have been raising a number of these
issues over the last 9, 10, 12 months so I think it's good, the timing's
good. There's still a lot to be done and we've been liaising with them in
terms of issues that would help us, looking at policies and facilitation so
I'm optimistic, I think we're going to get some food cooperation and
leadership from SADC. We would like to standardise the weigh bills, the
waiving of humanitarian cargo - the tolls, the customs clearances, the
third party transport arrangements, so there are a number of things that
these governments collectively can do to assist.

Q: What is WFP's policy on genetically modified (GM) food?

A: The WFP's position on GM is that genetically modified organisms and all
of the policies surrounding that are issues between the recipient
government and the country that is providing the assistance. The country
that is giving the food offers it and then the recipient government says
yes we'll take it. The WFP accepts food that has already been cleared as
fit for human consumption and we move that food so we don't have an issue
in this, it's clearly between the two countries. Now, can it be a problem?
Yes. The government of Zimbabwe has raised GMO issues but they have also
worked with us to come up with how we can facilitate that. One would be to
get the food milled when we bring it in. They are afraid that the grains,
the whole kernels could somehow be eaten by livestock or in fact be planted
and livestock could eat that and it gets into the genetic strain. So, one
way would be to mill up the food and bring it in, another would be to bring
it in and let the government mill it. If all of that fails then they would
like us to transport the whole grain in sealed containers which is a little
bit of a problem for us because it's so much more expensive to have sealed
containers. And then they would ask that we do a very rigorous awareness
campaign with the beneficiaries so that they would know you have to pound
this food, you have to eat it yourself, don't plant it and don't feed it to
livestock. We understand that Zambia is reviewing their GM policy but
clearly they have already accepted many thousands of tons from the US
already so we hope that that is not going to be an issue for them.

Q: So you won't say take that or take nothing?

A: No, we wouldn't want to do that. I have seen too many of those children
who need this food and I have seen the situation and we have to do
everything we can.

Q: You were traveling with Mr Oshima last week. At your press conference
earlier this year you painted a harrowing picture of the food shortage
situation. Is it any better or any worse now?

A: No. The situation in Malawi was certainly a deterioration from when I
was there in April. We knew the crisis was wide but I don't think we
realised how deep it was. There are a number of things that are going on in
Malawi. Healthy adult men are dying and this is a new phenomena that we're
trying to get to the bottom of and to see if we can find out what's going
on. Pellagra and scabies are epidemic, the folks were telling us. There's
still HIV-related deaths because when you have HIV your system doesn't
respond and if you don't have nutritious food you're going to deteriorate
more rapidly and we're seeing an acceleration of that. Malnutrition was
still escalating and is among the highest in the world. We were talking
about numbers going up in September, but what I'm seeing in Malawi is that
the numbers are inching up now so we have to redouble our efforts to make
sure that we reach those most acutely affected areas now or we're going to
see more people dying and that's not acceptable.