8-Humans: The Pope on human genetic engineering

TITLE:  HOMILY OF THE HOLY FATHER JOHN PAUL II
SOURCE: The Vatican
        http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/homilies/2002/
        documents/hf_jp-ii_hom_20020818_beatification-krakow_en.html
DATE:   Aug 18, 2002

APOSTOLIC VOYAGE TO POLAND

Holy Mass and Beatifications:
Zygmunt Szczesny Felinski
Jan Balicki
Jan Beyzym
Sancja Szymkowiak

HOMILY OF THE HOLY FATHER JOHN PAUL II

Blonie, Krakow, 18 August 2002

[...]
3. From the beginning of her existence the Church, pointing to the mystery
of the Cross and the Resurrection, has preached the mercy of God, a pledge
of hope and a source of salvation for man. Nonetheless, it would appear
that we today have been particularly called to proclaim this message before
the world. We cannot neglect this mission, if God himself has called us to
it through the testimony of Saint Faustina.

God has chosen our own times for this purpose. Perhaps because the
twentieth century, despite indisputable achievements in many areas, was
marked in a particular way by the "mystery of iniquity". With this heritage
both of good and of evil, we have entered the new millennium. New prospects
of development are opening up before mankind, together with hitherto
unheard-of dangers. Frequently man lives as if God did not exist, and even
puts himself in GodŐs place. He claims for himself the Creator's right to
interfere in the mystery of human life. He wishes to determine human life
through genetic manipulation and to establish the limit of death. Rejecting
divine law and moral principles, he openly attacks the family. In a variety
of ways he attempts to silence the voice of God in human hearts; he wishes
to make God the "great absence" in the culture and the conscience of
peoples. The "mystery of iniquity" continues to mark the reality of the
world.

In experiencing this mystery, man lives in fear of the future, of
emptiness, of suffering, of annihilation. Perhaps for this very reason, it
is as if Christ, using the testimony of a lowly Sister, entered our time in
order to indicate clearly the source of relief and hope found in the
eternal mercy of God.

The message of merciful love needs to resound forcefully anew. The world
needs this love. The hour has come to bring Christ's message to everyone:
to rulers and the oppressed, to those whose humanity and dignity seem lost
in the mysterium iniquitatis. The hour has come when the message of Divine
Mercy is able to fill hearts with hope and to become the spark of a new
civilization: the civilization of love.
[...]