2-Plants: North Dakota, US, organic farmer fights Monsanto over GMO crop contamination

TITLE:  ND farmer, organic certifier calls for farmers to organize against
        Monsanto over GMO crop contamination
SOURCE: Farm News from Cropchoice, USA, http://www.cropchoice.com
        by Terry Kemmet
DATE:   October 9, 2001

ND farmer, organic certifier calls for farmers to organize against Monsanto
over GMO crop contamination

(Oct. 8, 2001 - CropChoice guest opinion) - The following is a piece by
Terry Kemmet, a North Dakota grower of organic flax, buckwheat, wheat and
conventional potatoes. Kemmet is also president of USA Organics, a small
certification agency in Tappen, ND. He and other family farmers are looking
into the possibility of launching a co-plaintiff action against Monsanto,
for, among other things, trespass with its genetic engineering technology
and harm to export markets. Please note that the views expressed in guest
columns such as this one are not necessarily those of CropChoice.

by Terry Kemmet

Monsanto and other companies seem to be polluting organic and commercial
crops across the fence, making them unmarketable or, at the very least,
worth less money. Our basic constitutional right to property is soon to be
lost. Our right to grow the type of plants that we want to grow and market
is being overshadowed by the rights of a patent. Soon we won't even be able
to save our own seed. If Monsanto does allow us to save it, how much will
already be genetically altered? And our government allows this in the name
of science and progress and the American way.

I think that an analogy is in order. You know that it may not be illegal
for me to keep my wonderful, high-powered bull in a one-wire fence across
the section line from your cows, but if my bull gets in and breeds your
cows Iím to blame because Iíve trespassed on your property.

The situation is the same for Monsanto. It has all the right in the world
to experiment with its GMOís but it doesnít have the right to breed my
plants, nor yours, nor anyone elseís. The wind and the birds and the
insects and the trucks speeding down the highway and countless other
avenues of dispersion are taking the pollen, the progenitor of Monsantoís
technology, and spreading it to places it doesnít belong.

The widespread transgenic contamination of organic and conventional crops
that Monsanto and other agribusiness companies have caused with their
genetic engineering technology constitutes criminal trespass and must be
stopped through our judicial system.

Monsanto is messing with my future and the future of organic and
conventional agriculture.

To learn more about how you can get involved in possible litigation against
Monsanto, call or e-mail
Terry Kemmet at
+1-701-327-8285 or
tkembek@bektel.com