9-Misc: New Zealand struggles about GE (1)

TITLE:  Hundreds take first steps in Hikoi towards a GE-Free Aotearoa /
        New Zealand
SOURCE: New Zealand GE Free Coalition
DATE:   September 29, 2001

Hundreds take first steps in Hikoi towards a GE-Free Aotearoa /New Zealand

Hundreds of people are expected to come and support the start of the GE
Free Land March in Kaitaia on Monday, 1 October at 10 am, as it begins its
journey to Parliament.

The march, or Hikoi, has been organised with the support of the GE Free
Coalition in Auckland, and will emphasise the concern amongst tangata
whenua and all New Zealanders. The Hikoi will give people in rural areas an
opportunity to join the growing GE-free movement and is calling for a
complete ban on GE. "The implication of GE are horrific for Tangata Whenua,
as they affect our Whakapapa and taonga. This is just another sign that our
Mana is being trampled on by multi-national companies who have no respect
for indigenous peoples" says organiser Kei Munro.

Concerned people from all over the country have shown their support for the
Hikoi. For example, GE-Free food has been donated by organic growers and
companies to feed the marchers.

"Collectively we all have the responsibility to protect this country and
our future generations. We are the ancestors of the future, we are called
to act for our children and our children's children." Says Mary Dwen for GE
Free NZ.

While much of the distance will be walked by the whole group, some
stretches will be covered by relay runners. Along the way the Hikoi will
collect signatures on large banners from people opposing GE, which will be
used to wrap the Auckland town hall and the Beehive.

"We are expecting to have enough signed banners to wrap the Beehive on the
31 October" says Kane Forbes, one of the organisers.

The Hikoi will carry a specially made flag, the 'Tohu', on its way to
Wellington. The Tohu symbolises the seeds of life . Ana Kerehoma
Ripia(Ngati Kahunganu)was the artist who designed the artwork. The Tohu
will be blessed at Te Rerenga Wairua (Cape Reinga) on Sunday and carried to
Kaitaia .

The Path of the Hikoi On Monday, the march will be making its way south on
SH 1 via Mangamuka, Whakapara, Whangarei, Kaiwaka, and Orewa to arrive in
Devonport -Auckland's North Shore- on the Friday 5 October.

Here the Tohu will be carried across the harbour by the Pupuke Moana Club.
The waka flotilla will be leaving Devonport at 3 pm and arriving at the
Viaduct at 4 pm and will be welcomed there.

On 6 October, the National Day of Action of the GE Free movement, the Hikoi
will march from QE II Square at 11 am to join the wrapping of the Town Hall
at noon.

On 7 October the GE Free Land March will continue south via Hamilton,
Rotorua, Taupo, Palmerston North to Wellington.

Contact Kei Munro 445 1874, mgraf@ihug.co.nz
During the march: 025 604 5872

GE Free Land March

Tena koutou katoa He mihi nui, he mihi mahana ki a taatou e noho nei i
Aotearoa

The GE Free Land March is going to parliament to deliver a strong message
for a GE free Aotearoa.

The government will soon announce its decision on genetic engineering. It
may or may not decide to extend the voluntary moratorium on field trials
past the end of October. In either case, that is not enough.

We want a completely GE free Aotearoa.

The tohu representing GE free Aotearoa will be blessed and then carried
from Te Rerenga Wairua (Cape Reinga) to Poneke (Wellington) by everyone
supporting this kaupapa.

Whaea Dell Wihongi (Dame Awhina Cooper's niece) will be up the front, just
like her auntie, leading us for a just cause - probably the most important
cause of this century.

Here is what's going to happen:

October 1: The GE Free March starts in Kaitaia. It will make its way south
through Mangamuka, Whakapara, Whangarei, Kaiwaka and Orewa

October 5: Orewa to Devonport, then across to the Auckland Viaduct. Meet us
at the wharf in Devonport at 3 pm. The Tohu will by carried across by the
Pupuke Moana Club Waka. Arriving at the Viaduct at 4 pm. Everyone with
boats or kayaks is invited to join the Waka.

October 6: National Day of Action. The march assembles at QE II square 11
am and walks up Queen Street and join the wrapping of the town hall in
banners at noon.

October 7: The march leaves Tamaki Makaurau heading south to Pukekohe and
then along SH 1 to Ngaruawahia and Hamilton, then via Rotorua to Taupo,
Palmerston North and Otaki.

October 28: Celebration of the Anniversary of the Declaration of
Independence in Otaki.

October 29: The march carries on to Porirua, and Poneke (Wellington).

October 31: The march ends at parliament building to wrap the beehive with
the banners. Parliament will be sitting that day and we will deliver our
message directly to the politicians.

Please come and join the march. Put on your walking shoes and walk with us.
Make an event happen in your town as we pass through.

We need your support. We need fit runners to carry the tohu on some
segments of the march. We also need transport for the elderly, first aid,
marshals, food, and koha, all the way from cape to parliament.

Haere mai ! Tautoko mai !

For more details contact
Kei on (09) 445 1874, kei-munroe@xtra.co.nz or
Marcus on (09) 361 2520, barbel@ihug.co.nz or 025 604 5872
or visit
www.gefree.net.nz

TITLE:  Open letter to government vom PSRG New Zealand
SOURCE: Physicians and Scientists for Responsible Genetics (New Zealand)
        http://www.psrg.org.nz/op_let.html
DATE:   October 11, 2001

OPEN LETTER TO GOVERNMENT
from the Trustees, Members, Associate Members and Supporters of Physicians
and Scientists for Responsible Genetics (New Zealand)

We, the undersigned scientists, recognise the Recommendations of the Royal
Commission as a guide to proceeding, with due caution, in the use of
genetic engineering. While the Commission's Report could not be, nor was it
intended to be, a scientifically rigorous document, it offers certain
strategic options which we feel it is valuable to take up. We believe it
would be a serious error of judgement to conclude that the Commission's
report is a definitive and authoritative assessment of all of the relevant
scientific facts. The Warrant of the Commission was :

To receive representations upon, inquire into, investigate, and report upon
the following matters:

the strategic options available to New Zealand to address, now and in the
future, genetic modification, genetically modified organisms, and products;
and any changes considered desirable to the current legislative,
regulatory, policy, or institutional arrangements for addressing, in New
Zealand, genetic modification, genetically modified organisms, and products.

Thus, no scientific investigation or research into genetic modification was
required by the CommissionŐs warrant.

(1) We support many of the Recommendations of the Royal Commission,
particularly Recommendations 6.12, 6.14, 7.1, 7.2, 7.4, 14.1, 14..2 and
14.3.

(2) It is impossible to guarantee containment of pollen from GM plants in
field trials and we have serious concerns about the possible environmental
impact of genetically modified crops on New Zealand soil and ecosystems. We
therefore welcome Recommendation 6.12 which states that the Environmental
Risk Management Authority (ERMA) should require research on these impacts
before release of genetically modified crops is approved; and
Recommendation 7.1 which states that "prior to the release of any Bt-
modified crops, the appropriate agencies develop a strategy for the use of
the Bt toxin in sprays and genetically modified plants."

(3) In the light of the above Recommendations we make the strongest
possible recommendation that the moratorium on the release of any GMOs into
the environment, both commercially and in open field trials, be extended so
that the relevant research can be conducted.

(4) Consequently, we recommend that both Recommendations 6.12 and 7.1
should be implemented retrospectively. In other words all applications for
field trials of GMOs for which approval has already been granted should be
reconsidered.

(5) Recommendation 6.14, which states that "public research funding
portfolios be resourced to include research on the socio-economic and
ethical impacts of the release of genetically modified organisms," should
also be implemented retrospectively in respect of all ERMA approved field
trials. We suggest this should apply particularly to the ERMA approvals to
conduct field-trials on GM-pine trees (GMF99001 and GMF99005), as approval
for these was given without appropriate ecological and soil research by the
forestry research organisations.

(6) Recommendation 7.4 states that "in connection with any proposal to
develop genetically modified forest trees, an ecological assessment be
required to determine the effects of the modification on the soil and
environmental ecology, including effects on soil micro-organisms,
weediness, insect and animal life, and biodiversity." This Recommendation
should also be implemented retrospectively and ERMA should be required to
insist that research, as envisaged in this Recommendation, be an integral
and on-going component of undertaking any field-trials of this kind. The
extended moratorium on conducting field trials could be used to address
this consideration.

(7) We support Recommendation 14.1, that Section 68 of the HSNO Act be
modified and that the establishment of a Bioethics Council (Recommendation
14.2) together with a Parliamentary Commissioner on Biotechnology
(Recommendation 14.3) be appointed.

(8) We strongly urge that any future committee or council be put together
in a manner such that it is, and can be seen to be, truly representative,
containing scientists who are able to offer an alternative view to the
consensual view of governmental bodies, academic institutions and
representatives of industry. To date this has been sadly lacking in such
committees as the Independent Biotechnology Advisory Council (IBAC).

(9) We consider that patents on living processes, organisms, seeds, cell
lines and genes should be not be allowed. Patents on life-forms and living
processes threaten food security; they sanction biopiracy of indigenous
knowledge (of Maori in the case of New Zealand) as well as genetic
resources; they can violate basic human rights and dignity, compromise
healthcare, impede medical and scientific research.

(10) We find no convincing evidence to date that GM crops offer any
benefits to farmers or consumers. Instead, many problems have been
identified, including yield drag, increased herbicide use, erratic
performance, and poor economic returns to farmers. GM crops also intensify
corporate monopoly on our food, which is marginalizing family farmers in
several countries and preventing the essential shift to sustainable
agriculture that can guarantee food security and health around the world.

(11) We consider there is a clear need for an independent, centrally funded
and developed public education programme about genetic engineering. Had one
existed prior to the hearings of the Royal Commission, public debate about
the issues would have almost certainly been conducted at a much more
sophisticated level, and community organizations would have been able to
have ready access to up-to-date and unbiased factual information.

PSRG rejects the conclusion that continuing the moratorium on field trials
and commercial releases of genetically modified organisms in New Zealand
will have an adverse effect on truly scientific research. The over-emphasis
of research funders on molecular biology to the detriment of other
approaches has long been in need of re-adjustment in order to preserve the
local knowledge base that has been developed over decades within New
ZealandŐs academic and other publicly-funded research institutions. The
exciting new developments in molecular genetics research must now be
incorporated into a wider view of biological knowledge rather than being
pursued as an exclusive goal, as has finally been acknowledged by the
leaders of the Human Genome Project. By doing this, our country will
continue to make important contributions to humanityŐs legacy of scientific
achievements.

SIGNED by the Trustees and Members of Physicians and Scientists for
Responsible Genetics

Paul G Butler BHB, MB, ChB, FRNZCGP, General Practitioner Trustee PSRG
AUCKLAND
John R Clearwater BSc, MSc, PhD, Principal Scientist, Clearwater Research
and Consulting Trustee PSRG AUCKLAND
Bernard J Conlon MB, BCh, BAO, DCH, DRCOG, DGM, MRCGP (UK), FRNZCGP,
General Practitioner Trustee PSRG MURUPARA
Peter R Wills BSc, PhD, Associate Professor, University of Auckland Trustee
PSRG AUCKLAND
Jean Anderson Businesswoman, Retired Trustee PSRG TAURANGA
Robert G Anderson BSc, PhD, Lecturer, Retired Trustee PSRG TAURANGA

Sigi Kirchmair Computer Consultant Associate Member PSRG Nelson