2-Plants: Canada warns that modified crops can spread further than thought

TITLE:  Keep your distance
SOURCE: New Scientist, UK, by Andy Coghlan
DATE:   November 24, 2001

Keep your distance
Canada warns that modified crops can spread further than thought

STRAY pollen and seed from genetically modified oilseed rape, or canola, is
now so widespread in Canada that it is difficult to grow conventional or
organic strains without them being contaminated. That is the stark message
from Hugh Beckie of the agriculture ministry's Saskatoon Research Center,
which has been monitoring GM crops since commercial farming began six years
ago. Canada's experience provides valuable lessons for other parts of the
world, such as Europe, that don't yet allow commercial production. It
suggests that GM and non-GM varieties of some crops might have to be kept
far apart or even grown in separate, designated zones. "If we move towards
quite a lot of GM growing, there would have to be some sort of zoning,"
says Jeremy Sweet of the National Institute of Agricultural Botany in
Cambridge.This is already done to prevent contamination of elite
conventional strains of sugar beet and potatoes, he says.

Beckie, who spoke at the Weeds 2001 conference in Britain last week,
stresses that much depends on the particular crop. Plants such as wheat and
soybeans are relatively safe from contamination because they usually
pollinate themselves. But oilseed rape accepts pollen from neighbours.
Experiments show that pollen from GM oilseed rape travels much further than
expected, Beckie says. "Our studies have shown that pollen can travel at
least 800 metres." That's eight times further than the official Canadian
"safe" separation of 100 metres for rape grown to supply pedigree seed. And
it's four times further than the country's 175-metre separation for rape
grown to supply oil or food.

Only 0.07 per cent of plants at 800 metres were pollinated, but there was a
long "plateau" between 50 and 400 metres where contamination was about 0.2
per cent, dangerously close to the accepted 0.25 per cent contamination
limit for elite seed. Beckie says that there's "a good chance" he will
recommend extending separation distances. What's more, some GM plants are
surviving in fields from year to year because they have acquired resistance
to more than one weedkiller by crossing with other GM strains. Such
"stacked" resistance is easily managed with other herbicides, but only if
farmers know the problem exists.

For more science news see: http://www.newscientist.com