5-Animals: Animal clones as food source face US scrutiny

TITLE:  Animal clones as food source face US scrutiny
SOURCE: Reuters, by Lisa Richwine
DATE:   November 28, 2001

Animal clones as food source face US scrutiny

WASHINGTON - While world attention focused this week on a report of the
first cloned human embryo, regulators were already at work looking at
whether animal clones are safe for the U.S. food supply. Animal cloning has
progressed since 1997, when researchers introduced Dolly the sheep, the
first cloned adult mammal. Biotechnology companies have produced duplicates
of prized animals and are marketing the technology to animal owners. With
the field moving quickly, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is
weighing whether to regulate cloned farm animals that people might consume.

Some cloning experts have argued that all clones have at least subtle
irregularities that cannot be easily detected, and consumer groups say
federal oversight is needed until more is known. "We don't think the FDA
should rush headlong into just saying these things are okay and allowing
the animals to be commercialized rapidly," said Joseph Mendelson, legal
director for the Washington-based Center for Food Safety. The National
Research Council will convene a meeting yesterday to prepare a report for
the FDA on bioengineered animals.

Two firms are scheduled to tell the scientific experts that their cloned
cows are apparently normal and thriving. "We are up to our ears in clones,"
Michael Bishop, president of DeForest, Wisconsin-based Infigen Inc., said
in an interview. "We have normal cows. They are producing milk, their milk
is normal. They perform normally in every way," he said, adding the
privately owned company was preparing the information for publication in a
scientific journal.

Advanced Cell Technology, the firm that made headlines by announcing on
Sunday it had cloned human embryos to derive stem cells for potential
medical therapies, also will report that its cloned cattle appear normal.
The private company, based in Worcester, Massachusetts, reported in the
journal Science that it had tested 24 adult cows and found nothing unusual.

The FDA is evaluating whether meat or milk from clones is safe for human
consumption. In June, the agency urged companies that clone livestock to
apply for approval if they want to sell the animals as food. Officials plan
to use the forthcoming National Research Council report, due out next
spring, to help them craft a formal policy on whether companies will need
FDA approval before they market cloned animals, similar to the clearance
needed to sell pharmaceuticals.

In addition to scrutinizing clones, the National Research Council also will
review the effects of other bioengineered animals on human health, the
environment and animal welfare. For example, Infigen has created cloned
cows that are producing therapeutic proteins in their milk. Another firm
wants to sell salmon genetically modified to grow faster. Other researchers
will discuss the possibility of genetically altered insects, such as
malaria-free mosquitoes.