2-Plants: GE pine tree trial abandoned in New Zealand

TITLE:  Forestry group abandons GM trial
SOURCE: New Zealand Herald, by James Gardiner and Anne Beston
        http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=229931&msg=
emaillink
DATE:   November 24, 2001

Forestry group abandons GM trial

One of four field trials approved for genetically modified pine trees and
sheep has been abandoned by Carter Holt Harvey because the forestry giant
does not want to be at the centre of a "political storm". Proposed new
rules for GM experiments are to go before the cabinet on Monday and may be
introduced to Parliament as an amendment bill next week. Maori opposition
to GM will be dealt with next year in a second amendment. The new rules
should not have affected Carter Holt Harvey's pine tree field trial because
it had an existing approval under conditions set years ago. But it has
pulled out anyway citing consumer resistance to the process.

The Royal Commission on GM, which reported this year, said it was essential
that all material associated with field trials - any "heritable material" -
be removable from a site. The Weekend Herald has been told by several
official and non-Government sources that those working on the amendment to
the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996 have left the reference
to "heritable material" undefined.

GM proponent the Life Sciences Network said that would mean the issue had
to be decided by the courts, which would be costly for any applicant whose
approval was challenged. Network spokesman Francis Wevers said yesterday
the term should be defined officially either in the law or elsewhere. "The
Government had always hoped this piece of legislation would be simple and
uncontroversial," Mr Wevers said. "The fact that it's taken several weeks
of intense political negotiations following the completion of the work by
the officials suggests it's not going to be."

Carter Holt Harvey environmental manager Murray Parrish said the trial the
company had planned to take from the lab into the field had no commercial
application, but would have helped test the success of scientific work done
so far. "We support the technology in principle and can see a range of
opportunities, environmentally and commercially, but if consumers don't
want it for whatever reason we would be pretty silly to produce it," he
said. Mr Parrish said CHH supported the Government's "proceed with caution"
approach to GM and saw a need for appropriate controls on research. But it
did not want to compromise its commercial viability or community standing.

Meanwhile, a big question mark is emerging over whether field trials will
able to proceed because of fierce scientific and political debate over the
degree to which soil in which trees or other crops are planted becomes part
of any experiment. The other trials approved by the Environmental Risk
Management Authority but yet to start are two more involving pine trees
that the Forest Research Institute wants to do at Rotorua and one involving
sheep that AgResearch plans for the Waikato. Both abided by the voluntary
moratorium the Government called for while the commission sat. It lifted
the moratorium last month when it announced its response to the
commission's recommendations.

At that time, Forest Research scientist Dr Chris Walter was confident of
having GM trees in the ground by Christmas, but yesterday he said the issue
of how to secure the seedlings from vandals or protesters was troubling. He
described as "absurd" the suggestion that soil could be considered
heritable material and therefore need removing after any trial. He
interpreted heritable to mean the soil or organisms in it could produce a
new tree.

Pat Clark, a consultant to GE Free Northland, disagreed. "There is plenty
of evidence to suggest that DNA, which of course is heritable material, can
survive [as the root material decomposes] and can exert a transgenic effect
itself even in the soil environment," he said. The AgResearch trial may
also not go ahead, but for a different reason. Dr Paul Atkinson said the
field trial to produce sheep with "bigger backsides" and therefore more
meat was not ready to progress beyond the laboratory and he did not know
when it would be.