3-Food: Philippine Catholic CHurch continues battle versus GE food

TITLE:  Church continues battle vs genetic-modified food
SOURCE: Philippine Daily Inquirer, by Villamor Visaya Jr.
        http://www.inq7.net/reg/2001/nov/20/reg_2-1.htm
DATE:   November 19, 2001

Church continues battle vs genetic-modified food

ILAGAN, Isabela -- The war over genetically modified organism (GMO)-laced
crops and coal mining in Isabela is far from over. Roman Catholic Church
leaders led by Bishop Sergio Utleg of the Diocese of Ilagan and priests in
35 towns and two cities in the province renewed their campaign against Bt-
corn farming and coal mining. In a pastoral letter read during last
Sunday's Mass in churches in the province, Utleg said Bt-corn farming and
coal mining have been denying "the blessings of life for millions of
people."

"The church is not against development and modern technology. Rather, we
want to ask our people and leaders: For whom is development? Who is to
benefit from these so-called development projects and modern technology?
Development must serve the needs and promote the progress of all people,"
Utleg said.

Fr. Gregorio Uanan, chancellor of the Diocese of Ilagan and leader of the
Anti-GMO Multi-Sectoral Alliance of Isabela, assailed the Monsanto-
Philippines for disclosing that Bt-corn has recorded a "high yield" in its
field tests in Alinguigan 2nd in Ilagan, Carulay in Echague town, and
Villaluna in Cauayan City, all in Isabela.

Monsanto is the leading proponent of Bt-corn field tests in the country.
"Naturally, it has a high yield at first . . . but eventually the corn
borer gets immuned, as researches say, and farmers would end up losing
income," Uanan told the INQUIRER. Dr. Arnold Estrada, Monsanto-Philippines
product development manager, has reported a "very high yield" in its field
trials, a better output than what was recorded in General Santos City.

The tests, Estrada said, were proven to be a success as the firm has
confirmed the resistance of Yieldgard corn against Asiatic corn borer and
evaluated the corn's economic value and better grain quality. He said
Monsanto would not debate with church leaders. He maintained, however, that
Bt-corn has been proven safe after thorough testing for toxicity,
nutritional values and feed values.

"Official studies conducted by the US Department of Agriculture, the US
Department of Environment and Protection, and the US Food and Drugs
Administration have shown that Bt-corn has no adverse effects on people's
health and environment," Estrada said.

Utleg said Bt-corn "does not promote the general welfare of the people nor
solve the problem of poverty." "There are credible scientists who tell us
that it is toxic and that it can contaminate other corn varieties through
cross-pollination," he said. Estrada, however, said the cross-pollination
of Bt-corn plants with ordinary corn does not contaminate the plants.

The Catholic Church has accused Monsanto, a United States-based
agricultural company, of trying to impose a monopoly of the corn industry
throughout the world. "The solution to poverty and low productivity is
genuine land reform and nationalist industrialization," Utleg said. He
called on legislators to pass a law outlawing Bt-corn field trials.

TITLE:  Greenpeace to label GMO products
SOURCE: Philippine Daily Inquirer, Delfin Mallari Jr.
       http://www.inq7.net/reg/2001/nov/19/reg_8-1.htm
DATE:   November 19, 2001

Greenpeace to label GMO products

LUCENA CITY -- For the public to celebrate the Christmas season free of
food products contaminated with "genetically modified organisms,"
Greenpeace activists said they would conduct "GMO labeling patrols" in
major supermarkets nationwide. "Greenpeace labeling patrols" will saturate
major supermarkets in major urban centers to "discreetly" slap labels on
food products that contain genetically modified organisms or GMOs.

Von Hernandez, campaign manager for Greenpeace Southeast Asia told the
INQUIRER that they would conduct the information mobilization in the
absence of a government mandatory labeling policy for genetically altered
food products in the country. "Most Filipino households, no matter how
poor, would indulge on foods for their traditional celebration of
Christmas. At least we would be able to help them distinguish which food
products from the grocery shelves are safe to eat," Hernandez said in a
phone interview. Aside from their "labeling mission," Hernandez said,
Greenpeace activists will also conduct public information campaigns through
different forums in the province. "We will make our appeal through local
radio, television and provincial community papers to deliver our message
across in time for the holiday celebration," he added.

Last week, Greenpeace activists demonstrated inside a popular supermarket
chain outlet in Metro Manila and attached stickers marked "GMO
contaminated" on popular food products, particularly on several brands of
baby food, infant formula, hotdog and other snack items they earlier
confirmed to contain GMOs in laboratory tests. Beau Baconguis, genetic
engineering campaigner for Greenpeace Southeast Asia, said in a statement,
that they were taking action, "because we believe that Filipino consumers
have a right to choose, whether they want to eat genetically modified food
or not."

Baconguis has blamed the government's failure to establish an effective
labeling system for genetically altered food products. "Unfortunately,
government neglect is robbing consumers of their right to know what they
are eating and prevents them from exercising their option to reject food
items contaminated with GMOs," she pointed out.

"Given the lethargic and seemingly apathetic response of the government on
this issue, we are also challenging retailers and food producers to decide
whether they want to cheat consumers by hiding behind the inadequacies of
the present system or respect their rights by providing truthful and
reliable information on all of their products," she added.

Hernandez also stressed that at the very least, "people must have the right
to know which food products are genetically manipulated, especi ally given
the unknown impacts of this experiment with our food on human health and
the environment."