9-Misc: Scottish Highland Council approves GE protester camp

TITLE:  Genetically Modified Crop Trials Forum:
        GM vigil group gain planning permission for camp
SOURCE: The Highland Council, Scotland/UK, by John Gray
        http://www.highland.gov.uk/discussion_forum/gmcrops/forum.html
DATE:   November 20, 2001

GM VIGIL GROUP GAIN PLANNING PERMISSION FOR CAMP

The Highland Council's Ross and Cromarty Area Planning Committee has
unanimously approved a planning application from protesters to maintain an
encampment near the scene of two recent farmscale trials of genetically
modified crops in Ross-shire. The Munlochy Vigil was granted permission to
maintain two caravans, a toilet and a Mongolian-style Yurt (information
centre) at a council-owned lay-by at Roskill Farm, Munlochy, until the end
of August, next year. A condition of approval is that the development is
cleared within one week of the expiry of the planning consent. At the start
of the debate, four members of the committee declared an interest and did
not vote. David Alston, Peter Cairns and Margaret Paterson said their views
on the issue were so well known that they might not be perceived as being
impartial. Lou Wilkerson declared an interest through being related to one
of the objectors. The committee heard that 120 letters had been received in
support of the encampment being maintained. There had also been 17 letters
of objections. In recommending approval of the application, Area Planning
and Building Control Manager, Jim Farquhar, said he had taken into account
the views of the local community. In his view, the encampment did not pose
a road safety problem nor did it have a material impact on the environment.

The Highland Council

TITLE:  Council gives green light for anti-GM vigil
SOURCE: The Herald, UK, by David Ross
DATE:   November 21, 2001

Council gives green light for anti-GM vigil

Highland Council yesterday snubbed Ross Finnie, the rural affairs minister,
by unanimously voting to give anti-GM protesters planning permission to
continue their vigil on council land beside the GM site on the Black Isle
until next August. In recent weeks civil servants and Mr Finnie himself
have written to the council urging them to move the camp. They alleged that
the protesters had harassed Jamie Grant, the farmer conducting the GM trial
on Roskill farm near Munlochy, and his family. No complaint was received by
the police, however, and a planning application from the protesters was
received for "two caravans, a toilet, and a yurt (central Asian nomads'
tent) acting as an information centre".

More than 120 letters supporting the application were received mostly from
people living in and around the Black Isle, underlining the strength of
local feeling. Only 17 objected, many of them from the farming fraternity.
Jim Farquhar, the Ross and Cromarty area planning manager, reported to
councillors in Dingwall yesterday that he had initially been concerned
about road safety, but concluded that drivers slowed down out of curiosity
and while there were still dangers "these are probably no greater than
normal in relation to any countryside road." Neither was Mr Farquhar too
concerned about the aesthetic threat posed by the camp.

He said: "Its impact is not far-reaching - it can only be seen over a short
distance by users of this road. Its temporary nature and mobility of the
structures mean that its impact will be short-lived. Measured against
community council views and popular support, I do not consider that its
existence for a temporary period is damaging in a non-sustainable way."

The granting of planning permission is just the latest round in a dispute
between the council and Mr Finnie. The minister outraged councillors in
August last year by giving Mr Grant permission for his first GM trial
without the prior local consultation specifically requested by the council,
which then unsuccessfully petitioned the Court of Session to make GM field
trials subject to planning controls.

In August Mr Finnie gave Mr Grant permission for a far larger trial,
leading to the protest and vigil. Five protesters were subsequently charged
with aggravated trespass and are due to stand trial in January. Neither Mr
Grant nor the executive would comment yesterday, but Black Isle councillor
David Alston said: "I think we have an obligation to allow people to
protest in a reasonable manner and that's one of the reasons we are
allowing this on council land."