2-Plants: Monsanto produces RR grass for golf courses

TITLE:  Scotts Company, Monsanto, to create an experimental production site
        for Roundup Ready Creeping Bent Grass
SOURCE: Associated Press/Portland Oregonian, edited and sent by Agnet,
Canada
DATE:   November 20, 2001

SCOTTS COMPANY, MONSANTO, TO CREATE AN EXPERIMENTAL PRODUCTION SITE FOR
ROUNDUP READY CREEPING BENT GRASS

MADRAS - Two Jefferson County farmers have, according to these stories,
teamed up with agricultural chemical companies, Scotts Company and the
Monsanto Company, to create an experimental production site for genetically
engineered Roundup Ready creeping bent grass. The stories say that at a
public hearing Monday about the proposed 11,000-acre site, to be located
just northwest of Madras on the Agency Plains, 11 local farmers were cited
as saying the plan represented a potential economic boon for Madras. With
the volume of specialty crops - such as peppermint, Chinese cabbage and
sugarbeets - that once served as the county's agricultural lifeblood now
being grown in areas where costs are lower, the prospect of having a crop
that will be in demand as long as there are golf courses has area farmers
optimistic for the first time in years.

Gary Harris, who has farmed his 578 acres near Madras since 1968 and is the
only member of Oregon's Land Conservation and Development Commission east
of the Cascade, was quoted as saying, "Bentgrass is needed to keep this
agricultural community viable. The crop will provide a fresh economic
stimulus."

The stories say that more than 50 people attended the hearing, moderated by
the Oregon Department of Agriculture. Scotts and Monsanto scientists were
cited as saying that the crop would be sold to golf courses throughout the
country. The growing area would be controlled to minimize the possibility
that Roundup Ready strains of the crop would grow outside the production
site. Ron Olson and Harold Siegenhagen, owners of the Madras-based New Era
Seed company that would operate the site, were cited as saying that the
control area would be maintained using practices such as operating an on-
site seed-cleaning facility and shipping seeds directly to golf courses in
leak proof sealed containers.

Olson, a stockholder in Monsanto and The Scotts Company, said commercial
production of the genetically engineered crop is scheduled to begin in the
fall of 2002. He anticipates the farm will produce between 400 and 500
pounds of creeping Bentgrass seed a year for the 3 million-pound industry.

Dr. Michael Kenna, director of turf grass and environmental research for
the U.S.Golf Association (USGA), was quoted as saying that the nation's
golf courses "need this technology" and that Roundup Ready creeping
bentgrass will enable golf course managers to control weeds more easily and
courses will look better. Kenna was further cited as saying the USGA will
also be able to reduce the impact of golf courses on the environment,
adding, "It will enable golf course superintendents to reduce water and
pesticide usage."

Bill Rose, a longtime Jefferson County farmer, was cited as saying he is
uncomfortable with the plans to prevent accidental spread of the grass and
that containment would be nearly impossible, adding, "Anything that is so
good can also be bad. If we move too fast, we could get the public against
us and get (genetically engineered crops) banned. " Albert Kausch, a
genetic engineering researcher with the HibriGene Co., was quoted as
saying, "Outcrossing is inevitable. My main concern is that we're moving
ahead too fast on this."