3-Food: US National Potato Promotion Board prepares for GE-free market

TITLE:  Potato industry encouraged to test seed for GMOs
SOURCE: AgWeb.com, http://www.agweb.com/news_general_news.asp
        edited and sent by Agnet, Canada
DATE:   November 19, 2001

POTATO INDUSTRY ENCOURAGED TO TEST SEED FOR GMOS

Sales of U.S. dehydrated potatoes in Japan have dropped 37 percent since
May, due to the detection of genetically modified potatoes in snack
products produced from U.S. and Canadian dehy. "We’ve got to make sure the
spuds we grow are certified to be GMO free,” said Jon Brownell, National
Potato Promotion Board (NPPB) chairman. "The board is investing $600,000 to
test for GMO and to rebuild the market share we’ve lost.”

Adding pressure, GMO (genetically modified organisms) labeling laws will be
implemented in Japan and Korea in spring 2002. The NPPB is aggressively
doing its part to preserve these markets, assuring the world trade that if
they require a GMO-free product that the U.S. can provide it. The board
urges process growers (dehy and fry) to do the same, by testing their seed
during the winter grow outs. "If all growers of potatoes destined (or even
possibly destined) for processing will plant seed certified to be GMO-free,
the board and the NPC can use this as proof to the governments of Japan and
Korea and to buyers worldwide that the U.S. is GMO-free in potato
production. The board is working with the seed certification officials to
put these systems in place,” the NPPB stated.

Many processors will require commercial growers to provide actual proof
that the seed they used in 2002 was GMO-free, the NPPB stated. To date, a
majority of processors have instituted intensive Identity Preservation (IP)
practices to try and assure that their raw product is GMO-free. They are
doing random sampling on the line to check the finished product.

"The U.S. stands to take advantage with increased exports of dehy and
frozen potatoes to the European Union (EU) because of a projected crop
shortfall in the EU. During the last shortfall in 1999 and 2000, the U.S.
sold an additional 76,000 metric tons (11,800,000 cwt. raw equivalent) to
the EU. These sales are not possible if there is a perception that U. S.
product may contain genetically modified potatoes,” the NPPB stated.