2-Plants: Aventis and AVEBE start GM potato research in Germany

TITLE:  Aventis, AVEBE start GM potato research in Germany
SOURCE: Reuters
DATE:   November 19, 2001

Aventis, AVEBE start GM potato research in Germany

HAMBURG - Research into the commercial use of genetically-modified potato
starch has been agreed in Germany by Aventis CropScience in a joint venture
with Dutch cooperative AVEBE, a spokesman said last week. Aventis
CropScience is a unit of German-French pharmaceuticals group Aventis . The
two have set up a joint venture called Solavista GmbH based in Potsdam in
east Germany, where Aventis CropScience has carried out GM and other
research into potatoes, Aventis CropScience spokesman Gerhard Waitz said on
Thursday.

"We have carried out a lot of fundamental research at Potsdam and we have
made some interesting products," Waitz said. "The aim now is further
develop these things to find commercial uses in industry and later also
uses in food in cooperation with our partner, which has great experience in
the potato starch sector." It is hoped that jointly-developed products will
be put on the market by the end of this decade, he added.

Potato starch is used in industries including paper production, textiles
and glues, he said. It is also used in a wide range of processed foods, as
a thickener in sources and in milk products such as yogurt. AVEBE is an
internationally-active cooperative of 4,500 farmers and suppliers with
extensive activities in foods, feeds and starches.