2-Plants: Monsanto says Bt-corn tests in Isabela/Philippines successful

TITLE:  Firm says Bt-corn tests in Isabela successful
SOURCE: Philippine Daily Inquirer, by Villamor Visaya Jr.
        http://www.inq7.net/reg/2001/nov/15/reg_6-1.htm
DATE:   November 15, 2001

Firm says Bt-corn tests in Isabela successful

ILAGAN, Isabela -- The controversial Bt-corn (Bacillus thuringiensis)-
injected corn plants were harvested in Isabela's three trial sites in the
past two weeks with "very high yields" compared to the pilot trial
conducted in General Santos City. Dr. Arnold Estrada, product development
manager of Monsanto-Philippines, the Bt-corn field trial proponent, said
the yield increase is "even higher than the 50-70 percent yield output in
General Santos City."

"The trial proved to be successful as we found out that the (Bt-corn)
plants have turned over a very good (harvest)," Estrada told the INQUIRER
by telephone. He did not disclose the yield's total volume, saying it would
be announced in a press conference this week.

The plants were harvested in trial sites in Barangay Alinguigan 2nd in
Ilagan town, Barangay Carulay in Echague town and Barangay Villaluna in
Cauayan City. Estrada attributed the good harvest to the rich soil in the
province. He said the genetically modified organism-laced corn plants were
found to be highly resistant to the Asiatic corn borer during field trials
in Isabela. The yield was higher than those from ordinary corn varieties
like the IPB-911 and the Super Sweet Corn, he said.

The Bt-corn field trials' objectives are to test the variety's resistance
to the Asiatic corn borer, evaluate its economic value and its grain
quality. Ten areas in various provinces have been approved as trial sites
out of the 32 sites applied for by Monsanto. Five sites are located in
Luzon and five are in Mindanao.

Leaders of the Catholic Church and militant groups opposing the Bt-corn
field trials, however, remained unfazed by the project's apparent success.
Fr. Gregorio Uanan, Diocese of Ilagan chancellor and spokesperson of the
Anti-GMO Multisectoral Alliance in Isabela (Agmais), challenged Monsanto
officials to present scientific studies on the corn's toxicity, feed and
nutritional values. The Ilagan council has imposed a moratorium on future
field tests in the town. But two councilors filed dissenting opinions,
saying data from the field tests would only be completed if the second
batch of tests (dry season cropping) was allowed to push through.