9-Misc: Hangzhou Declaration of IFOAM-ASIA

TITLE:  Hangzhou Declaration
SOURCE: sent by Biotani PAN Indonesia
DATE:   November 4, 2001

5th IFOAM-ASIA General Assembly
Hangzhou City, PR China
4th November 2001

Hangzhou Declaration

For IFOAM-Asia, the past two years have been a period of achievement for
the organic movement despite the severe scarcity of resources. Regional
coordination is stronger than ever, the mechanisms for strengthening the
guarantee and organic quality system is being put in place by the
continuing work on the standards and training of inspectors and certifiers,
alternative marketing mechanisms are being erected, and joint education
programs are being implemented.

But issues continue to face us:

1. Outside the organic movement, the globalization drive has resulted in
negative impacts on the environment, on the availability of seeds free of
genetic engineering, and on the rights of Indigenous People. These impacts
prevent them from access to natural resources, and also affect the self-
sufficiency of farmers and rural people.

2. Inside the organic movement, we are challenged to strengthen our
regional, suböregional, sectoral and national networks, and to
institutionalize and systematize the organic guarantee and quality system
according to standards corresponding with IFOAM Basic Standards and
incorporating provisions reflecting local conditions. We are likewise faced
with the question of how to strengthen the hand of farmers in seed control
and how to increase their share in the fruits of the economy.

3. We as IFOAM-Asia reject patented seed as well as transgenic seeds'
application in organic agriculture. It rejects any patent on life.

IFOAM-Asia is concerned about the interests of small traditional and
indigenous farmers and women due to the policies from the trade regimes
emerging from trade-related intellectual property rights, particularly on
patenting of life forms.

In this regard, IFOAM-Asia would like to commit itself to protect the
organic movement. In view of these, we pledge and commit on this 4th day of
November 2001, in the city of Hangzhou, P.R. China to do the following in
the next two years:

1. Establish and strengthen the Research Network for Asia.

2. Establish and strengthen the Joint Farmers and Indigenous Peoples
Working Group to handle the Organic Seed Cooperative Network in Asia.

3. Further strengthen the alternative marketing network and lobby for a
common stand on standards in Asia.

4. Lobby for securing the interests of small, traditional and indigenous
farmers and women with different trade regimes and international policy
institutions.

Note: It worthy to say, IFOAM Asia has 157 members covers 21 countries in
Asia. Biotani PAN Indonesia, and Sek. Hari Pangan Sedunia Yogyakarta are
among the full members.

rgds,
Riza VT
Biotani PAN Indonesia