6-Regulation: Mayor declares Waitakere City/New Zealand to be GE-free

TITLE:  Harvey declares Waitakere City to be GE-Free
SOURCE: Waitakere City, New Zealand, Media Release
        http://www.waitakere.govt.nz/WhaHap/nm/mr/nov2001.asp#
        Harvey%20declares
DATE:   November 1, 2001

Harvey declares Waitakere City to be GE-Free

Waitakere City’s Mayor Bob Harvey last night announced that he wants
Waitakere City to be GE-free. In his first speech to the new Council, Mr
Harvey compared the move to the stand the Council took on proclaiming
itself nuclear-free: "Over a decade ago we became nuclear free. We were
responding to the call from our citizens and from the world to take a stand
against the threat of terror. Now it’s time to take a stand for the sake of
our natural heritage and our wellbeing.” The proposal will be debated at
the Special Council of 14 November, however, Mr Harvey already has the
informal support of the majority of his Councillors. The Mayor further
stated that "The nuclear free issue has withstood the test of time. What
looked extreme ten years ago is now accepted.” Waitakere City’s eco-city
concept featured strongly in the address, and the Mayor linked what he
termed "the re-launch of the eco-city” with the GE-free stance, saying "The
Eco-City is back … Back at the cutting edge. And proud. And soon to be GE
free.”

ENDS