3-Food: GE crops said to fight hunger - but not in the US

TITLE:  Hunger in America 2001
SOURCE: America‘s Second Harvest, posted by checkbiotech/Syngenta
        http://www.checkbiotech.org/root/index.cfm?fuseaction=newsletter&
        topic_id=3&subtopic_id=15&doc_id=2205
DATE:   November 15, 2001

Hunger in America 2001

"This report proves what many of us have known for some time: despite our
nation's great wealth and power, despite the fact that America's farmers
can feed a good share of the entire world, about 31 million Americans don't
know, for certain, if they or their families will have enough to eat. Worse
yet, nine million of these people are children who have to line up at a
soup kitchen or food pantry to get a meal. The fact that 10% of all
families in the most powerful nation in the world don't know where their
next meal will come from is simply unacceptable." -- Sen. Tom Harkin (D-
IA), chairman of the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry

----------
Go to http://www.secondharvest.org/policy/2001_hunger_study.html to access
the full report.
----------

Hunger in America 2001 is the most comprehensive study of domestic hunger
ever undertaken.

32,000 individuals agreed to share their personal stories with us and their
stories paint a different picture than one might expect.

Our study found that in 2001, 23.3 million Americans nationwide sought and
received emergency hunger relief from our charitable network. This is
nearly two million more people than sought similar services in 1997. And
this, on the heels of one of the longest periods of economic growth in
recent history.

Who is Hungry in America?

In addition to showing increased requests for aid, Hunger in America 2001
punctures the myth that hunger is only a problem of the inner cities,
homeless, or the chronically unemployed. Although we do serve all of these
populations, in fact nearly 40% of the households that received assistance
from us in 2001 included an adult who was working.

Fully 19.7% of all the clients served by our network are seniors. This is
up from 16% in 1997. The facts about children are equally disturbing. More
than nine million children received emergency food assistance this year,
which is roughly one million more people than the total population of New
York City.

As in 1997, women continue to disproportionately experience hunger,
representing nearly two-thirds of adults seeking food assistance.

And although many of us picture hunger as a problem of the inner cities,
nearly half (47%) of all emergency food recipents served by food banks live
in rural or suburban areas of the country.

Everyday many hungry Americans make impossible choices between the
essentials of living. Our study found that nearly half (45%) have to choose
between paying utilities or buying food. More than 35% choose between
buying food and paying their rent or mortgage.

How Do We Respond?

Hunger in America 2001 not only measures the extent to which our fellow
Americans are seeking emergency food assistance, but also measures the
response to hunger by a nationwide network of charitable hunger-relief
agencies and volunteers.

We surveyed nearly 24,000 charitable hunger-relief organizations in our
network to provide a detailed and comprehensive picture of the work we do
and the challenges we face. Even though the America's Second Harvest
network is distributing more food than it did in 1997, we are still not
meeting the incredible demand and we know that we can't address hunger
alone.

We continue to rely on the generosity of the food, grocery and agricultural
industries, as well as that of individual donors and volunteers. But we
also need the continued support of the federal nutrition programs. The
study shows that programs like food stamps, WIC and school meals are
crucial to helping low-income families survive. We need to ensure that they
are accessible to all eligible Americans and that they provide the level of
support that is needed.