8-Humans: 'Perfect baby soon' as genetic test is approved in UK

TITLE:  'Perfect baby soon' as genetic test is approved
SOURCE: Daily Mail, UK, by Beezy Marsh
DATE:   November 12, 2001

'PERFECT BABY SOON' AS GENETIC TEST IS APPROVED

THE first 'perfect' baby could be created in Britain within weeks using an
embryo screening technique, following its approval by a fertility watchdog,
it emerged yesterday. A London clinic will use the controversial method to
screen out embryos with even tiny flaws to boost the chances of couples
undergoing fertility treatment having a child. Even embryos which could
grow into healthy infants may be discarded due to minute imperfections
which experts fear can lead to miscarriage.

Others with chromosomal abnormalities which would lead to Down's syndrome
will also be weeded out. Women over 35 are at a greater risk of all forms
of embryo abnormalities and stand to benefit most from the GBP 700-a-time
screening, called pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD). The procedure,
available in America for several years, can go ahead at licensed clinics
after the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority yesterday revealed
it had 'no objection'. No change in the 1990 legislation on fertility
treatment was necessary as PGD is allowed for certain diseases, such as
cystic fibrosis, which can be inherited. The authority simply allowed the
technique to be extended to include screening for chromosomal mutations.
Screening for choice of sex or traits such as hair and eye colour remains
outlawed. Last night, however, campaigners warned that PGD is a major step
towards genetic engineering. Paul Tully, of the Society for the Protection
of Unborn Children, said: 'People are mistaken if their concerns about the
designer baby scenario are restricted to the idea of someone creating a
fair-haired, blue-eyed child with an IQ of 150. 'This is where it starts
and it is a slippery slope. We are starting to eliminate those with more
manifest 'imperfections' through this procedure and it may well move on to
other conditions, such as heart disease or breast cancer. 'These arguments
are going to be very difficult for society to go back on once they have
approved the principle.'

A spokesman for the Down's Syndrome Association said it was
'understandable' that parents would want to select the embryos most likely
to lead to a healthy baby. But she added: 'In principle, we would argue
strongly against such a test if we thought it was being carried out purely
in the search for 'the perfect baby'.'

Professor Joy Delhanty, of University College Medical School in London, who
carries out PGD for inherited conditions, added: 'This technique is a
departure because there is no specific diagnosis involved and this is about
improving implantation rates. 'It might be appropriate for certain patients
with repeated miscarriage, but one has to remember this is an invasive
procedure for the embryo.'

The change follows a legal challenge by fertility expert Mohammed
Taranissi, of the Assisted Reproduction and Gynaecology Unit in London. He
expects to start preparing the first patients in a month, with the first
screening scheduled for the New Year. Dozens of women who have suffered
failures with in vitro fertilisation have inquired about the treatment.
Around 27,000 couples embark on fertility treatment every year, at a cost
of around GBP 3,000 per time, but 85 per cent of attempts fail. The PGD
technique works by taking a cell from an embryo and staining certain
chromosomes - the building blocks of life which contain genetic information
- using a special dye to show up abnormalities. The HFEA said it would soon
carry out a final inspection of Mr Taranissi's clinic after GBP 250,000
screening equipment was installed last week. 'We have no objections to the
technique being used,' said a spokesman. 'We are minded to license it but
we need to first inspect the clinic.'

Mr Taranissi said: 'In IVF, embryologists already look for the best-quality
embryos by appearance, and so this is a logical progression. 'It is
designed to help women and will benefit a large group of patients going
through IVF and give them the best chance of having a baby. 'It could mean
people with poor quality embryos will not attempt many cycles of IVF, and
so could save them emotional distress.

'You could argue it is unethical not to do this. What is the other
scenario? To have a woman get pregnant, carry out a test for Down's and
then offer her a termination?' Chromosomal abnormalities cause Down's
syndrome and have been linked to repeated miscarriage and 'unexplained'
infertility. The aim of PGD is to screen out less than 'perfect' embryos to
increase the chances of implantation and healthy pregnancy. Only the best
embryos will be used during IVF treatment. The risk of a woman suffering
mutations in her eggs rises steeply after the age of 35, when egg quality
declines. In women over 35, up to 30 per cent of embryos may contain
chromosomal abnormalities. The rate soars to 80 per cent for those in their
mid-40s.

Experts believe such mutations are to blame for 60 per cent of miscarriages
occuring in the first three months of pregnancy. Until now, women have been
offered screening for Down's during pregnancy only if they are considered a
high risk. The method, called an amniocentisis, involves inserting a needle
into the womb and can cause a miscarriage.