6-Regulation: Welch Assembly forced by EC fine to approve GE crops

TITLE:  GM seed labelling measures approved
SOURCE: icWales, UK, http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200wales/
        page.cfm?objectid=11413817&method=full
DATE:   November 8, 2001

GM seed labelling measures approved

The Welsh Assembly today approved new measures over genetically-modified
seed after being threatened with a pound 300 million fine from Europe.
Members voted to approve new regulations for strict labelling of GM seeds
after being warned the Assembly was in breach of EU obligations as the
measures should have been passed in February. Plaid Cymru abstained from
the vote on the measures, saying they did not go far enough. The
regulations come on top of new directives approved by the Assembly last
month aimed at consolidating the internal market on seeds and introducing
new safeguards on genetically-modified plant varieties. The Assembly was
forced to scale down its opposition to GM crops after being warned refusal
to do so could result in legal proceedings from Europe. The Lib-Lab
coalition has pledged to press for a moratorium on all GM crop trials in
Wales. That policy is in line with the Assembly's expressed desire to
operate the most restrictive policy possible on future commercial GM crop
developments within the context of existing EU legislation. Because of the
Assembly's action, the UK was in breach of its EU obligations and
infraction proceedings have been launched against the UK Government. The
Government told the Welsh Assembly it would not intervene and it was up to
Cardiff to act.

TITLE:  Assembly avoids pound 300m fine
SOURCE: South Wales Echo, posted by icWales, UK, http://icwales.icnetwork.
        co.uk/0100news/0200wales/page.cfm?objectid=11385206&method=full
DATE:   October 24, 2001

Assembly avoids pound 300m fine

The National Assembly has avoided being fined pound 300m over its stance on
genetically modified crops. AMs yesterday backed down in the face of a
500,000 Euro a-day fine by the European Commission if they did not approve
new regulations on GM seeds. Rural Affairs Minister Carwyn Jones warned
that the EC had begun proceedings over the assembly's fail ure to approve
the rules. And he told colleagues that a consequence of the proceedings is
a daily fine, backdated to February 2000. The Welsh executive wants a
moratorium on all GM crop trials in Wales. Approval of the seeds
regulations came despite a call by Plaid Cymru for the assembly not to
waver in its opposition to GM crops. Mr Jones said: "We have to play by the
rules of the game. "There are other ways of putting forward our point of
view. "We will continue to ensure we influence the matter in Europe."