2-Plants: Is GE research approriate and fast enough for Third World problems?

TITLE:  GM crop research slow to reach hungry Third World
SOURCE: Reuters, posted by Checkbiotech.org/Syngenta
        http://www.checkbiotech.org/root/index.cfm?fuseaction=newsletter&
        topic_id=2&subtopic_id=9&doc_id=2144
DATE:   November 7, 2001

GM crop research slow to reach hungry Third World

LONDON - With thousands of the world's poor dying from starvation every day
and millions going to bed on an empty stomach, many desperate voices are
calling on richer countries to use genetic science to wage an all-out war
on famine. In Africa, one in three children is underweight and malnutrition
contributes to nearly seven million child deaths each year in developing
countries. This, according to the United Nations children's fund, UNICEF,
is more than any infectious disease, conflict or natural disaster.  The
developing world's heavy dependence on staple foods such as rice, soya,
wheat and maize makes for a precarious existence if these crops are ravaged
by unexpected drought, disease, flood or freak weather -- not uncommon
events in poor countries.

Some say this is where the controversial research area known as
biotechnology can help feed the starving millions, by engineering plant
strains with improved resistance and yields.

"By bringing in this technology to make the same crop that people eat and
grow, make it more insulated against some of the elements of nature, more
nutritious...it will improve local production," said Channapatna Prakash,
professor in plant molecular genetics at Tuskegee University, Alabama.  "If
it does make a difference in their overall health and well-being with the
least intervention, it needs to be looked at very carefully," he said. "If
it does provide some solution in certain places and circumstances, then why
not?"  Prakash is also a member of the U.S. Agriculture Department's
agricultural biotechnology advisory committee.

Genetic modification (GM) involves exchanging or splicing genes of
unrelated species that cannot naturally swap with each other and scientists
say the applications are almost limitless.  The species can be vastly
different, for example, inserting scorpion toxin or spider venom genes into
maize and other food crops as a 'natural pesticide' to deter insects and
birds from feeding on the plants, or fish antifreeze genes into tomatoes.

RESULTS HARD TO MEASURE, PROGRESS STILL SLOW

The tangible progress made so far is hard to assess as the various
applications of biotechnology to Third World staple crops are still being
developed. Scientists say the measurable results and possible benefits to
farmers are still years away. Test projects already underway include virus-
resistant strains of sweet potato in Kenya, insect-resistant rice in China
and papaya in southeast Asia, as well as various cassava and maize projects
in other African nations.

Perhaps the most famous to date -- and also controversial -- is 'golden
rice', which many see as having come to represent the hopes and fears about
biotechnology, even though not one single seed of it has yet to be planted
commercially.  Rice is the most important crop in the developing world and
is eaten by close to four billion people every day. It accounts for around
80 percent of the total calories consumed by 2.7 billion Asians, or half of
the world's population.

In 1999, Swiss and German scientists developed a variety of rice engineered
to produce beta-carotene, a substance which the body can convert to Vitamin
A. In this way, they hope to stave off malnutrition in poorer nations where
rice is a staple food.  'Golden rice', named for its yellow hue, is
produced by splicing two daffodil genes and a bacterium gene into japonica
rice, which is a variety adapted for temperate climates.  However, experts
say many more years are needed before the Vitamin A trait can be worked
into the thousands of other varieties grown in countries such as India and
Bangladesh.

With such an important crop, genetic scientists are also keen to develop
rice strains with resistance to insects, which can eat away yields in
tropical Asia by more than 30 percent.  Many crops grown in Third World
countries are effectively organic as smallholder farmers lack the money to
buy pesticides and other chemical treatments -- thus bringing more
significance to crops which can resist insects and the usual field
diseases.

PROGRESS HAMPERED BY TECHNICAL PROBLEMS...

Other areas under intensive study include ways to improve resistance to
drought and flooding, and tolerance to salt and high concentrations of soil
metals. But the specific problems involved might prevent ultimate success,
some scientists say.  "Most traits of resistance to insects or diseases, or
adaptation to drought or salt tolerance, are multigenic traits," said
Barnaby Peacocke, rural livelihood advisor at the British non-profit
development organisation ITDG.  "Even with resistance to pests and
diseases, you run the risk of introducing monocultures into areas where
they can't really take the risk of a monoculture, rather than building up
on some good local varieties they may have already," he said.

Soil toxicity from the presence of metals is also a great problem to
farmers in developing countries who cannot always choose where they can
grow their crops. Acidic soils, for example, often contain high levels of
aluminium which hinders plant growth.  With enough time and money, Peacocke
said, some progress might eventually be made -- but not for several years
at least.  "I wouldn't be surprised, if billions of dollars are spent on
the research, they might be able to get some kind of tolerance to heavy
metals," he told Reuters in an interview.  "But I just haven't seen the
evidence. They (GM scientists) are talking about it, saying these will be
the answers they can provide. As a plant scientist, I know that they've
been looking at this for decades and they've just got nowhere really."

GM NOT NECESSARILY BEST SOLUTION, SAY CRITICS

Not everyone agrees that GM food will necessarily become the saviour for
the world's hungry and critics insist that there is, as yet, no conclusive
evidence of the touted benefits. The whole GM issue arouses strong emotions
on both sides of the divide, particularly among the more militant opponents
to the technology who march across fields and rip up fledgling test plants,
demanding that governments put a stop to "Frankenstein" foods by banning
the import and the commercial use of GM crops. Apart from their charge that
nobody yet knows how safe GM crops are, they also accuse powerful biotech
multinationals of using poor countries as a 'dumping ground' for products
which have failed to sell to lucrative but sceptical European markets.

FUNDING STILL SCARCE FOR GM RESEARCH

While some say increased funding should go into GM research for the staple
foods of the developing would such as cassava, sorghum and corn -- as
opposed to crops more used in developed countries -- others say the
resources would be better used to promote sustainable agriculture in the
world's poorer nations. "I think the developing world would probably be
better off putting its research resources somewhere else, other than in
biotechnology," said Jane Rissler, senior scientist at the Union of
Concerned Scientists, a prominent U.S. environmental group. "There are many
sustainable agriculture areas that probably would be much better for them
in the long run," she said. "We're not sure yet that the (GM) benefits are
going to be there."

Despite the financial clout of some of the agribusiness giants, research
into plant genetics still suffers from a lack of funding, which delays
field trials and safety tests. "The reason why we are not seeing cassava,
sorghum or chickpeas being grown in Vietnam, Kenya or Peru is because of
lack of funding -- these technologies don't come cheap -- and lack of
expertise, and they go together," said Prakash. "Ten years from now the
problem is not going to go away. But at least we can start thinking about
it now."