7-Business: Canadian GE researcher puts flax markets at risk

TITLE:
SOURCE: The Western Producer, Canada, by Sean Pratt
        http://www.producer.com/articles/20011101/news/20011101news15.html
DATE:   November 1, 2001

----------
  "McHughen said a line of flax that could produce plastics or drugs would
be a high-
  value crop. Manufacturers would pay big money for biodegradable plastic or
  pharmaceuticals that could be produced without having to harvest plants
from South
  America's Amazon Basin.
----------

Flax growers reject GM proposal.

Imagine the hullabaloo if the genetically modified canola that has cropped
up in conventional fields in recent years was a variety designed to make
plastics or pharmaceuticals. That's a scenario one GM expert is trying to
prevent. University of Saskatchewan professor Alan McHughen wants research
into GM crops that produce high-value industrial products shifted from
canola to another oilseed. "I'd like to encourage more people to look at
flax as the host for some of these things," said McHughen, who has written
a book about the potential and hazards of GM food.

He said flax is a better fit for these kinds of applications because it is
already primarily used for industrial purposes rather than human
consumption. "One could envisage all sorts of damage being wrought if by
mistake a genetically engineered pharmaceutical-producing canola seed got
into the regular oilseed type canola." But it wouldn't be as big a problem,
he added, if flaxseed genetically modified to be made into plastic or drugs
was mistakenly introduced into commercial flax lines. Instead of landing on
someone's dinner plate, it would end up in a can of paint or a sheet of
linoleum.

Chris Hale, president of Flax Growers Western Canada, said that line of
thinking shows a "clear misunderstanding" of flax markets. He said Europe,
which is "far and away" the biggest importer of Canadian flax, requires an
assurance from the Canadian Grain Commission that no GM flax is grown here.
Hale said flax exported to Europe is used for industrial purposes, but the
residue is fed to livestock. "If you don't think Europeans are super
sensitive about what they're feeding their livestock, I guess a little more
research needs to be done."

The flax industry has fought the introduction of GM crops. It managed to
get CDC Triffid, a chemical-resistant variety developed by McHughen, banned
from commercial production. They don't want to see more research on GM flax
in the near future. "We would not support and very likely actively resist
or lobby against that sort of work being done in the short term," Hale said.

McHughen said a line of flax that could produce plastics or drugs would be
a high-value crop. Manufacturers would pay big money for biodegradable
plastic or pharmaceuticals that could be produced without having to harvest
plants from South America's Amazon Basin. One of the reasons he is
convinced that flax is a better candidate than canola for this type of
research is that pollen drift isn't a problem with flax. "It doesn't have
that outcrossing problem, so you have a much greater degree of confidence
that when you grow the specialty crop in a particular area, it's going to
stay there." Perhaps more importantly, introducing a new kind of flax to be
used for industrial purposes doesn't take a food crop out of production.
The same can't be said for canola, he said.

TITLE:  GE flax not welcomed by farmers
SOURCE: The StarPhoenix, Canada
        edited and sent by Agnet, Canada
DATE:   November 8, 2001

GE flax not welcomed by farmers

Doug Bone of Elstow, Sask., writes that genetically engineered flax for the
pharmaceutical or plastics industries is being proposed as a possible high-
value crop by University of Saskatchewan professor Alan McHughen in the
Nov. 1 Western Producer. According to the story, McHughen says using flax,
rather than a plant such as canola, for pharmaceutical production is safer.
He claims that if GE pharmaceutical flax escapes into commercial flax
stocks it would not be as big a problem because, unlike canola, flax is
mostly used for industrial, rather than food products.

Bone says that McHughen should be aware that certified organic flax is
already a high-value crop. At double to triple the price of conventional
flax, and with no company technology access fees to pay, organic flax is
being grown profitably for the food and health markets by many organic
farmers. Milled organic flax seed and cold-pressed organic flax oil are
both value-added products being produced here in Saskatchewan for global
markets by one of the largest companies in the business, Bioriginal Food
and Science Corporation.

A growing number of consumers are recognizing the health benefits of flax's
fibre, lignan and omega-3 fatty acid content. This demand is being met by
conventional, as well as organic, production. Organic farmers believe
consumers have the right to choose food free of GE contamination and
farmers have the right to grow these crops for their customers.

An organic umbrella organization, the Saskatchewan Organic Directorate
(SOD), is currently raising funds for possible legal action to block the
introduction of genetically engineered wheat and to seek compensation for
damages caused by GE canola. This should serve notice that certified
organic growers will not allow their traditional ability to supply the
market to be threatened by possible contamination with genetically
engineered flax.