2-Plants: Bt cotton to be introduced in India after ascertaining impact

TITLE:  Bt cotton to be introduced after ascertaining impact
SOURCE: The Financial Express, India
        http://www.financialexpress.com/fe20011105/commo4.html
DATE:   November 4, 2001

Bt cotton to be introduced after ascertaining impact

New Delhi, Nov 4: Union agriculture minister Ajit Singh on Sunday said the
controversial Bt cotton would be introduced only after ascertaining that
the Genetically Modified (GM) crop had no adverse impact on environment and
human health for which final round of trials are on.

Strongly favouring introduction of Bt cotton in the next cropping season to
multiply productivity, he said that field tests conducted so far on Bt
cotton have not shown any kind of adverse impact on environment, bio-
diversity, human and animal health. "I hope sowing of the GM seed may be
allowed if the final results are also positive. Final trial results of the
Genetically Modified crop is likely to be known within two months", he
said, describing as "unfortunate" moves to destroy Bt cotton grown by
farmers in Gujarat. Asserting that farmers would be able to reap rich
dividends by cultivating Bt cotton, Mr Singh said it is expected to bring
about a revolution by enhancing productivity by about 30 to 35 per cent.

It is all the more necessary to clear the path for GM crops in view of
losses to the tune of Rs 700 crore suffered by farmers in Punjab, Haryana
and Rajasthan with cotton crop in these states getting affected by
bollworm, he said. On Bt cotton grown in about 10,000 acres in Gujarat, he
said burning the crop would not provide any solution and moreover "it was
not the fault of the farmers as they obtained GM seeds which were sold to
them". Mr Singh said "the Cotton Corporation of India (CCI) should procure
the Bt cotton grown by farmers in Gujarat, quarantine it and store it in
their godowns .... at least the lint needs to be preserved".