5-Animals: University of Minnesota and Thailand cooperate in GE fish risk assessment

TITLE:  Impact of genetically engineered fish subject of U of Minnesota
        study
SOURCE: University of Minnesota, USA
        http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2001-11/uom-iog110101.php
DATE:   November 1, 2001

Impact of genetically engineered fish subject of U of Minnesota study

MINNEAPOLIS / ST. PAUL--Building the capacity of scientists, regulators and
environmental leaders in Thailand to evaluate and regulate the
environmental safety of genetically engineered organisms is the goal of a
four-year, $425,000 grant from the U.S. Agency for International
Development (AID) to the Institute for Social, Economic, and Ecological
Sustainability (ISEES) at the University of Miinnesota.

The AID grant will support the first scientific research on the effects of
introducing tilapia--a fish that is a major food source in the region--that
has been genetically engineered for growth enhancement. The work will
evaulate the potential safety or risk to biodiversity from the introduction
of the tilapia, large numbers of which are raised in fish farms in the
United States and around the world.

According to ISEES Director Anne Kapuscinski, a professor of fisheries and
conservation biology and principal investigator for the grant, the Thai
government has discouraged several requests to introduce such fish partly
on account of the absence of case-specific risk assessment data and
insufficient capability to assess and control genetically modified
organisms. Tilapia are not native to Thailand, but some have escaped into
natural rivers and wetlands and established feral populations.

The project will measure the likelihood that genetic material will flow
from the introduced genetically modified tilapia to the existing feral
populations of the fish. The impact of the introduction on other fish
populations will also be evaluated. Another project goal is to help
officials in Thailand and neighboring countries increase their skills in
science-based risk assessment and safety planning and management of
genetically engineered organisms.

"The ISEES program on governance of biotechnology has attracted domestic
and international interest," said Kapuscinski. "This AID grant will enhance
the international dimension of our biosafety research, graduate training
and outreach. Also, we expect the project to enhance Thailand's role as a
regional biotechnology and biosafety leader with the capacity to share
scientific and regulatory expertise and information with other nations.

###

Contacts: Anne Kapuscinski, +1-612-624-7723, ark@finsandfur.fw.umn.edu.
Deane Morrison, University News Service, +1-612-624-2346, morri029@umn.edu.