4-Patents: Web page of UK Commission on Intellectual Property Rights

TITLE:  Web page of UK Commission on Intellectual Property Rights
SOURCE: Commission on Intellectual Property Rights, UK
ΚΚΚΚΚΚΚΚhttp://www.iprcommission.org
DATE:   August 2001

The Commission on Intellectual Property Rights website is now fully
operational at:

http://www.iprcommission.org

The Commission on Intellectual Property Rights (CIPR) is an initiative of
the UK Government, financed by the Department for International Development
(DFID). It is looking at how national and international intellectual
property rules and practices might be improved to take greater account of
the needs and interests of poor people and developing countries. The idea
of creating the CIPR originated in the UK Government's White Paper on
International Development "Eliminating World Poverty: Making Globalisation
Work for the Poor" published in December 2000. The aim is for the
Commission to report by March 2002.

We hope the website will be a means of communication with the far-flung and
diverse constituency interested in this subject, and a way for the
Commission and this community to exchange views. Amongst other things, on
the site you will find details of past and forthcoming commission events
and summaries of studies being undertaken. In particular we hope to run a
series of moderated on-line debates in a couple of months' time. But we
would also value your comments on any issues relating to intellectual
property rights and development at any time. These can be submitted at
http://www.iprcommission.org/submit.asp, and published submissions can be
viewed at www.iprcommission.org/submissions.asp.

If you submit views we ask you to register (only very basic information is
required). On registering you will also be asked if you want to join any of
the e-mail lists so that we can keep you informed at irregular intervals
about Commission activities in your area of interest. Although you do not
need to register to view any part of the site, we would encourage you to do
so, as we will then know who is interested in our work. You can register at
http://www.iprcommission.org/register.asp

This is a one off mailshot, and you will not receive further correspondence
from us unless you specifically request it. If you wish to communicate
directly with us, rather than through our website, the e-mail address is:

ipr@iprcommission.org

Please forward this e-mail to others on your networks, who may not have
received it directly. Apologies if you receive this more than once.

Regards

CIPR SECRETARIAT

*****

Study Areas: Genetic Resources, Agriculture and Traditional Knowledge.

This study area will investigate the issues that concern the exploitation
and protection of genetic, agricultural and traditional knowledge
resources, and the rights of the source communities.

- The present systems of plant variety protection used in developing
countries, either through UPOV or sui-generis systems, and whether these
are suitable for developing country needs.

- The impacts of the implementation of TRIPS, in terms of the effect on
innovation and cost of agricultural technology, seed saving and sharing,
and incentives for pro poor biotechnological research.

- The potential conflicts between TRIPS and the CBD over access the genetic
resources and benefit sharing, and possible amendments or modifications the
international IPR regulations.

- The problems of 'biopiracy'; whether IPRs can provide adequate protection
for the genetic resources and traditional knowledge of communities in
developing countries, and are a suitable and equitable system for ensuring
that these groups share in the benefits of the exploitation of their
genetic resources.

- The situation regarding the patenting of human genetic information, the
consequences of these practices for developing countries, and the issue of
consent of people donating or sharing donated genetic material.