8-Misc: International Society for Biosafety Research founded

TITLE:  GMO scientists unite!
SOURCE: Science, Vol. 289 (5484)
DATE:   September 1, 2000

GMO scientists unite!

Hoping to bring a voice of reason to the debate over transgenic
crops, a group of scientists is, according to this story, launching
the first society and journal to specifically address their risks.

The idea grew out of a series of international meetings, held
biannually since 1988, that brought together an ad hoc group of
scientists to discuss science-based regulatory policy for genetically
modified organisms (GMOs). At its July meeting, organizers decided to
form a permanent International Society for Biosafety Research. Mark
Tepfer, who studies virus transfer at INRA, France's national
agronomy research institute, was quoted as saying that after years of
getting hammered by "both the Greens and industry people, we need a
clearer voice for scientists in the field." He and others hope to
exercise "complete neutrality" in studying such hot-button issues as
Bt corn's impact on butterflies.

The group's journal, Environmental Biosafety Research, will be
launched early next year by Elsevier. Alan McHughen, a plant
geneticist at the University of Saskatchewan, says it will feature
research that other journals often turn down-including "negative
results" studies showing that a transgenic crop appears no different
from its traditionally bred counterpart.