6-Regulation: Council of Cleveland, USA, urged government to label GE food

TITLE:  Now it's Cleveland...
SOURCE: Cropchoice News, USA, http://www.cropchoice.com
DATE:   August 31, 2000

Now it's Cleveland...

Cropchoice News -- American city councils are getting downright
ornery on biotech. First it was George Bush's town of Austin, Texas
calling for GMO labels. And there was Cargill's home turf,
Minneapolis, Minnesota, which recently did the same. Not to be
outdone, Boulder, Colorado just banned GMOs from 15,000 acres of city-
owned farmland. Now, Cropchoice has been sent a copy of a GMO
labeling resolution recently passed by the city council in Cleveland,
Ohio.

Except for the Boulder action, the new resolutions don't have any
legal teeth - they‘re just political documents. But they are a pretty
good urban barometer on GMOs. The most unexpected aspect of them may
be the geography. You might have expected these resolutions coming
from San Francisco or New England; but instead they‘re from cities in
middle of America.

To get a taste, we‚ve reprinted a copy of Cleveland City Council
resolution 1432-2000 below, passed by council on August 7th and
signed into law by the Mayor on the 17th.

----

RESOLUTION NO. 1432-2000

An Emergency Resolution

Urging the federal government to require labeling of genetically
manipulated foods and further urging a moratorium on the production
of such foods until acceptable testing systems are in place.

By: Councilmember Brady

WHEREAS, genetically engineered foods have not yet been proven safe
and are not tested by any federal agency; and

WHEREAS, the Food and Drug Administration requires only that
companies producing such genetically engineered foods state, on the
"honor system", that such foods are safe with no further testing
required; and

WHEREAS, a class action lawsuit has been brought against the Food and
Drug Administration to prevent it from continuing to rush such
untested foods on the market;

WHEREAS, numerous bioengineers and scientists have stated that the
technology of genetically engineered foods is clearly different from
traditional methods and could lead to a host of undesirable health
and environmental problems; and

WHEREAS, such technology further has potential negative effects in
genetic cross-pollination of beneficial plants, insects and other
fragile ecosystems;

WHEREAS, this resolution constitutes an emergency measure for the
immediate preservation of public peace, property, health or safety in
that it is essential that the public know and understand how the
foods it purchases are being produced and the possible health and
environmental risks of such production, now, therefore,

BE IT RESOLVED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF CLEVELAND:

Section 1.

That this Council urges the federal government to require labeling of
genetically manipulated foods and further urges a moratorium on the
production of such genetically manipulated foods until acceptable
testing systems are in place.

Section 2.

That this resolution is hereby declared to be an emergency measure
and, provided it receives the affirmative vote of two-thirds of all
the members elected to Council, it shall take effect and be in force
immediately upon its adoption and approval by the Mayor; otherwise it
shall take effect and be in force from and after the earliest period
allowed by law.