6-Regulation: Scottish court halted GE crop moratorium

TITLE:  Council set to maintain opposition to GN crop trials
SOURCE: The Highland Council, UK
        http://www.highland.gov.uk/cx/pressreleases/archive2000/
        august2000/gmcrop4.htm
DATE:   August 29, 2000

Council set to maintain opposition to GN crop trials

The Convener of The Highland Council David Green has expressed his
extreme disappointment at the councilās failure in the Court of
Session to halt the planting of genetically modified crops in the
Black Isle. He said: "I thought we had a very strong argument and
have no regrets at taking this important matter into court. We have
succeeded in raising the profile of this important issue and the
public can be assured we will not let the matter rest here. "

"While the scope for further legal action is limited, we will pursue
this at a political level. I have asked for a meeting with Scottish
Executive Rural Affairs Minister Ross Finnie to highlight the
concerns of the community at the lack of consultation and the lack of
transparency over these tests. People have very real fears over the
planting of these GM crops. It is a fear of the unknown. In the
absence of an informed debate, it is understandable that the
perception of many people is that these crops pose a threat to the
environment and the quality image of our produce."

Councillor Margaret Paterson, Chairman of the Council's Ross and
Cromarty Area Committee, said: "Lord Hardie's decision is deeply
disappointing. All I can do now is urge the farmer, Jamie Grant, to
heed the views of the council and the many local people who have
expressed their concern about the trials, and abandon his plans."